Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Breaking up with PayPal...

It's about time I did it.  Even though using PayPal is simple and convenient, I'm tiring of having a middle "man" as part of my financial transactions.  It's too easy to spend money.  Moreover, sometimes PayPal messes up.

Case in point, this morning I got an email from PayPal letting me know that a payment had failed.  They had sent another email about the payment-- a $1.99 subscription that apparently was to be taken from my "wallet".  I never keep money in the PayPal wallet, so the payment failed.  However, instead of using my backup method or emailing me each time it failed, PayPal kept trying to bill me and the charges stacked up.  I counted over thirty unsuccessful attempts at billing.  I woke up this morning to a deficit of $123 in my "wallet".

The $123 is not a big deal.  I paid it, and now have $0 in my "wallet".  I also cancelled the subscription to the offending service as well as to most of the other services for which I was paying via PayPal.  Most of them were services I don't use anymore anyway.  I left one or two yearly subscriptions active.  The others I will pay for using a credit card.

PayPal used to be more useful to me because I was getting payments for my writing through the service.  Now that those assignments have more or less dried up, I don't need PayPal.  I get paid directly to my account now through the couple of income sources I have.  And, quite frankly, I don't need the aggravation that I was faced with this morning.  It gave me a sick feeling to see the negative balance and it was very annoying to try to figure out what happened.  PayPal is not exactly "user friendly" when it comes to this stuff.

I guess it's fair to say that I haven't "broken up" with PayPal as much as I've "agreed to see others".  I wish the United States would get with the program and start using bank transfers, like we do here in Germany.  It's so much easier, more secure, and less annoying.  Anyway... I'm voting with my pocketbook.

Zane and Arran had a good walk this morning.  Zane was full of energy and looked happy.  If he's sick due to his elevated liver enzymes, I wouldn't know it.  I dread Thursday because I think the surgery is going to be tough on him.  I also dread hearing the aftermath of the surgery.  I'm pretty sure at least one of the bumps is a mast cell tumor and I have a sick feeling it'll return.

I may be back later with a more substantial topic after I've done some reading... I have something kind of juicy in mind, but I need to learn more about it before I do any writing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.