Thursday, August 10, 2017

Am I the only one who hates this?


I hate these damn things...

Yesterday, I saw this posted on my Facebook timeline and it made me cringe for several reasons.  First off, I fucking hate it when people use letters or numbers in place of words.  Call me a relic if you must, but I don't like shorthand unless it's being used for a practical purpose.  I can see using it if you're texting, working as a court reporter or a secretary, or if you're taking notes in school.  There's no need to use it on a Facebook meme.

Secondly, I hate it when people try to tell me what to do.  This meme is written in an imperative style.  It's giving me directions.  Well, unless you're offering me a paycheck or sticking a gun in my face, I'm going to do whatever the fuck I please.  I think sharing this kind of thing is annoying and stupid.  Besides, what is the point of this?  It's a waste of time.

Thirdly, the tone of this meme is snarky and antagonistic.  "Watch, NO-ONE follows direction" seems snarky, especially coming from someone who apparently never completed a sixth grade English class.

And finally, there's a parting shot.  If I don't do this, I'm not "following directions".  Or, if I choose to respond in a way contrary to what is written on this poorly articulated meme, I'm not following directions.  Actually, I don't take directions from poorly written memes or the people who choose to litter my timeline with them.  I guess I can take heart that at least the person who created this didn't spell no one as "noone" or misspell "your".  But check out the semicolon abuse!  

I know... I sound uptight and stressed.  That's because I am uptight and stressed this morning.  My heart is almost in my throat anticipating the morning at the vet's office with Zane and Arran.  I will hopefully be a lot more relaxed in a few hours.


4 comments:

  1. I hate those, too. I'm not on Facebook, but I sometimes read my aunt's and one of my cousins' pages. I want to respond (except that the response is not mine to make) that it's not no one follows directions. It's just that no one wants to be associated with your lame meme.

    I hate text-speak even in texts, though I understand its use there. ("U" for "you" is one of my least favorite terms, particularly if a person over fifty is using it. Somehow it offends me all the more then.) It doesn't belong on Facebook or anywhere else even if a person is using a smartphone.

    Did you have your appointment yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, how I fucking hate those things! I always want to respond to those guilt-tripping FB posts "you're right, because we don't give a fuck". And the shorthand drives me bat-shit crazy. Type the goddamn Y & O, already! I've already become a cranky old lady and I'm only 51! Aaaauuuuggh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never fail to crack me up! The person who posted the above is my cousin's ex wife. I actually can see why she divorced him because he's a bit of an asshole... but, on the other hand, people who post these attention whoring memes are also rather assholistic.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.