Saturday, July 8, 2017

Hot n' Nasty...

The weather sucks.  It's hot and sunny and we have just one portable air conditioner.  It does a somewhat decent job of cooling my office area, but the rest of the house is hot and nasty.  I sweat constantly.  Add in the fact that Arran threw up on my rug this morning and you have the makings of a yucky day.

Some time ago, I mentioned John Parken and his "Fuck It" retreats in Italy.  I read his book by the same name some years ago-- right after we left Germany the first time, actually.  I've been wanting to go on one of his retreats for some time now.  I am subscribed to his email list, so I get regular enticing offers from him.  This week, he sent one I couldn't pass up.  It was the chance to try a 28 day online Qigong course at a very reduced rate in exchange for a review.

If you read this blog regularly, you know I write a lot of reviews.  So, since I had been curious about the retreats and the idea of just saying "fuck it", I decided to take John up on his offer.  I started the course this morning, not realizing Bill was standing behind me as I was learning the first basic move. I have a feeling that if this course goes well, I might be able to talk Bill into a trip to Stromboli to try it in person.

Hopefully, this course will help me to stop being so annoyed by people like my cousin, the dog throwing up on my rugs, the heat, sweating, my periods, houseflies and anything else that annoys the fuck out of me.

Speaking of small problems...  last night, I realized how very insignificant my problems really are.  A couple of years ago, I found out that an online friend of mine had a very rare form of breast cancer.  She got treatment and it supposedly went into remission.  Last night, she announced that the cancer has come back with a vengeance.  After a scan, doctors found evidence of it in her ribs, lungs, and liver.  I would assume she also has it in the breast again, but I don't know.  When I hear news like that, I realize that my problems are trivial and stupid. I am truly a very lucky person.  My prayers are with my friend, who must be shocked and devastated by this news.

Then, this morning, I learned that a woman I once wrote about in this blog, Meagan Flaherty, who was a three time training camp candidate for the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders, passed away last year.  She was a vibrant woman in her early thirties who had leukemia.  I would not have known about this except I've been watching old episodes of DCC: Making the Team and I recently saw the one where Meagan gets cut for the third and final time and tells off DCC director Kelli Finglass and Judy Trammell.  Meagan went on to cheer for the Dallas Stars Ice Angels.

I don't actually care that much about pro sports or cheerleaders.  I just like trashy TV.  I do feel badly for Meagan, though, because she was so young and vital and she did have so many friends and loved ones who I know miss her.  She was much too young to get so sick and succumb to cancer.

So yeah... I need to learn to let things go.  And I need to learn to say "fuck it" sometimes.  Especially when the weather is hot and nasty and I'm sweating like a whore in church.



Maybe someday I'll get there...


2 comments:

  1. What is an Oigong course?

    That's unfortunate about the cheerleader.

    I read last weekend that I descend from a few Earls of Arran in Scotland. (The Earl of Arran title exists in both Scottish and Irish peerages, but I'm only related to the Scottish ones.)

    How is Arran?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Qigong is basically like Tai Chi.

      Arran seems back to his old self now. He's probably hungry.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.