Sunday, July 9, 2017

Another day, another Duggar... and other assorted bullshit

So, today I read that Jill Duggar Dillard, mother of Izzy and wife of Derick, has finally had her second son, Samuel Scott Dillard.  First off, let me say that I'm delighted that Jill and Derick chose a rather normal name for their second child.  Secondly, I've seen pictures of the boy and he's a biggun.  According to a post by his daddy, Sam weighed 9 pounds 10 ounces.  I thought he was big by his picture.  Then I remembered that I weighed 9 pounds 13 ounces when I was born and I did not emerge from the womb via C-section, as Sam did (after Jill labored for 40 hours).

There's not much else reported about the latest Duggar grandson.  He looks to be big, healthy, and basically fine.  I think it's nuts to labor for that long and then have a C-section, but what the hell do I know about childbirth?  I guess I'm just glad it wasn't me going through it.

Right after I read about Sam's birth, I read about a guy who was in the middle of being arrested when he decided to propose to his girlfriend.  Brandon Thompson of Muskogee, Oklahoma was being arrested on July 4th and was already handcuffed when he decided he wanted to pop the question to Leandria Keith.  The cops graciously moved his cuffed hands to the front so he could present the lady with an engagement ring.  The "romantic" scene was captured by a body camera as Thompson's family, who had been celebrating Independence Day and Thompson's birthday, looked on.

Thompson was being arrested on several felony warrants, so it may be some time before he and his betrothed are able to wed.  However, Keith was able to cobble together enough money to bail her fiance out of the clink.  Thompson has been doing a lot to turn his life around, so who knows?  Maybe this will be the start of a new way of life.  One can only hope.

Today is the third anniversary of my father's death.  I don't feel too sad about it.  I remember that he was in a lot of pain at the end of his life and it was heartbreaking to see him suffering.  But I do remember him now on the day he died.  July 2014 was an absolutely horrible month.

Last night, Bill and I went to a party.  The guy throwing it is someone Bill worked with the last time we lived in Germany.  I don't know him well, although we did attend a Lyle Lovett concert with him back in March 2009.  He grilled all kinds of meat-- it was a very impressive spread.  He had chicken, pork, beef, and lamb, as well as lots of good beer and side dishes.  Bill and I spent the evening trading stories with a couple of his soon to be former co-workers.  Oh... and I also got recognized a couple of times by people who read my travel blog and have seen Bill's face in every post.  He's become the local "face" of my travel blog.

It's pretty funny when readers find out who I am.  It gives me a taste of what it must be like to be famous.  It's kind of gratifying, too, since people actually read and apparently enjoy the blog.  I'm not stupid, though.  I know that a main reason it gets read is because there are a lot of bored people around here with not much else to do.  Indeed, boredom is the main reason why I write these blog posts.  It keeps me busy and gives me a place to express the many thoughts running through my head at any given moment.

Someone asked me last night if I planned to blog about last night's party.  I hadn't planned to, because I didn't think many people would be interested.  But now that I think about it, maybe I will write something about last night's gathering.  Why the hell not?  It beats bitching about people.


I was a big baby, too.




4 comments:

  1. You certainly were a big newborn. at what point did you become smallish for your age? do know if your mom had gestational diabetes?

    I haven't read about jill's delivery yet. Do you know if she labored at home? That would have been a somewhat dumb thing to do after having one c-section, but it wouldn't be the first time a Duggar did something dumb. If she labored in a hospital, I wonder how long they had to beg her before she agreed to a c-section. i'm reasonably confident that it wasn't the idea of any licensed MD to let someone who had undergone a prior c-section to labor for 40 hours. one thing I don't know was the intensity of her labor. Some people like to boast of the length of their labor, and they count the time when they are having contractions that are barely felt or the time after their water breaks even if they aren't feeling contractions. Then again, she ma have been in hard labor for 40 hours. If so, she's a bit of a masochistic fool. Historically there have been many women who had no choice but to do that, but she's not one of them. She may not be able to single-woomedly populate an entire county if she keeps having c-sections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if she had gestational diabetes. My sisters were not as big as I was. I was fairly small throughout childhood. It was all over when I learned to drive!

      I have a feeling they went to the hospital after laboring at home, but I don't know for sure. She labored with Izzy for a long time... like 72 hours.

      Delete
    2. One of my mom's friends had a ten lb. two oz. baby. By the time the kid was a year old, she weighed only nineteen pounds. She's still small. she just graduated from Yale, a; I think she's about 5'1". I think she's about six months younger than I, so she should be very close to fully grown. There was no gestational diabetes involvement in her birth weight. The mother had three girls - an eight-pounder, a nine-pounder, and a ten-pounder, in that order.

      I was two pounds, two ounces. I certainly hope any baby or babies that I have are at least three times that size.

      Delete
    3. Well, my mom hadn't wanted a fourth baby anyway, but I think my size convinced her to make sure she wouldn't end up with another surprise.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.