Friday, June 9, 2017

What a week...

Well, it's been an interesting week here in Germany.  Seven days ago, Bill got a job offer from the company taking over the contract he's been working on.  The offer was so good that he would have been crazy to pass on it.  It effectively means about another $25,000 a year in pay and we wouldn't have to move.

As tempting as a government job in Italy is, there is just no way a move down there would have compared in compensation, besides the fact that they were dragging their heels on helping us with moving and logistical expenses, or with finding some way to make the process work out so we wouldn't be stuck in Germany as tourists until an Italian visa came through.  Bill's current job ends July 21st and if he hadn't had immediate work set up, he would have had to deregister our cars.  That would have meant he would have had to ship them to Italy and only after he got all of the paperwork straightened out.  Apparently, that can take up to six months.

It looked as if they weren't going to give us LQA, either.  And moving is always a pain in the ass.  So, with great sadness, Bill turned down Italy.

Yesterday, he got a phone call from the guy he would have been working for.  He picked up the phone and the first words out of the guy's mouth were "Goddammit, Bill!"  Apparently, they had really wanted him.  Unfortunately, getting a job with the government can be a logistical nightmare, especially when you're overseas.  Maybe he'll be able to go GS later, when we aren't abroad anymore.

Sunday, we experienced our first time at a textile free spa.  We both enjoyed ourselves immensely.  I would totally do it again, even though my days of having a beautiful body are long over.

Sunday was also the last day of life for a guy I knew when I was growing up.  He was the father of a good friend of mine from high school and college.  For some reason, he really seemed to like me.  I think he enjoyed my sense of humor.  I'm not sure exactly what happened, other than he was out on his boat and somehow drowned.  Apparently his family is still trying to determine the exact cause of why he drowned.  I was very sad to hear about his death.  He and his wife were always good to me and his kids were all friends of mine (and still are).  I wish I could be at his funeral tomorrow.

Monday, I got into a moronic pissing contest with some guy who took offense to my rant about "dishonest memes".  I completely understand being annoyed when someone calls you out in a blog post, even if they don't mention your name.  This guy seemed to get seriously rattled, though.  A friend told me that he was ranting about me on his personal Facebook page and sending the links to my posts to his friends. All I can say is, "Thanks for all the hits, guys."  If you think my blog sucks, you really shouldn't be sharing it.  And truthfully, if the guy had simply approached me calmly and had a discussion with me, I probably wouldn't have dedicated a follow up post (or two) to him.  I'm pretty reasonable that way.  The truth is, I didn't out him as an asshole.  He managed to do that just fine all by himself.

I'm debating on whether or not I want to have a lump removed from Zane's leg.  A year ago, I had it aspirated and it came back a lipoma.  But since last July, the bump has gotten noticeably bigger.  It still looks and feels like a lipoma, but Zane has had mast cell tumors.  But if I have it removed, there is a good chance it'll come back.  Both dogs need their teeth cleaned.  I have to take Zane in for an allergy shot today.  I guess I'll talk to the vet about it if I have the chance.

I donated $300 to a guy who is suffering from Lou Gehrig's Disease.  I was inspired by an article I read about him tapping out his son when his son finished basic training.  The father managed to stand up and tap out his son, despite having extremely weakened muscles that require him to use a wheelchair most of the time.  I know his disease is ultimately fatal and they have a lot of financial challenges with two other sons in college.  It's not much, but I would imagine any amount is helpful... I can only imagine how I'd cope if I were in that situation.

Yesterday, I tripped over a dog toy and fell.  I twisted my left ankle and scraped my right knee on the carpet.  I was also carrying my iPad, which went flying.  Fortunately, the ankle was only stunned and the scrape on the knee was pretty minor.  My iPad wasn't harmed, either.  I need to get rid of some of these toys before I fall down the stairs or something.

In eleven days, I'll be having another birthday and that will make me halfway through my forties.  It doesn't seem possible.

I'm not sure what we'll be doing this weekend.  I think Bill wants to go to a medieval festival in a town near us.  That could be fun, so we'll probably do it.

2 comments:

  1. Great news about the job - I've been curious about the final outcome since you mentioned a change was coming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's kind of bittersweet. We did really like the idea of moving to Italy, though not the hassles associated with it. A couple of the guys from Italy are up here this week and one of them told Bill once again how much they wanted him. I can guarantee, though, that not a single one of them would take a job that was going to pay about $60,000 less per year and require them to move themselves.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.