Saturday, May 20, 2017

The beauty of not living a 24/7 lifestyle...

I didn't write yesterday because the Internet was down until the afternoon.  I took it as a sign that I needed to take a day off from writing.  I will definitely be writing about our trip on my travel blog, probably starting on Monday, when we get back to Germany.  I would start writing now, but the sun is out and I think there may be a chance that we'll go out and do something today.

Yesterday, I spent the morning napping.  The bed in this house isn't great, but it's especially not great when you share it with two dogs and a man.  I didn't sleep that well the first night here and made up for it after breakfast.  Then Bill and I walked the dogs, brought them back, and walked down to the main drag for lunch.  We spent a couple of hours enjoying a simple Italian meal.  Then we came back to the house, turned on music, and drank wine.  The weather was a bit stormy, so we watched the clouds over the lake and I took lots of pictures.  Anyway, I'll write more specifically about that on the travel blog.

It's been really great to get out of Germany.  I need the occasional change of scenery to remind me why living in Europe is worthwhile.  Actually, it's worthwhile to Bill and me for a lot of reasons.  I think some Americans don't like living in Europe because it's not as convenient as the United States is.  There isn't a 24/7 lifestyle in Europe.  People take days off and things move at a slower pace.  You can't always go grocery shopping in Europe on Sunday like you can in the States.  

The lack of a 24/7 lifestyle is precisely why I like Europe.  I like the fact that people aren't work obsessed and there's time to look around and smell the flowers.  I like all of the different types of people here and the many things to see and do.  I like that sometimes, I'm forced to take a day off from writing blogs because the Internet isn't working.  I need to be reminded sometimes that I lived over half my life without Internet access.  It wasn't a bad thing not to be connected to my electronics all the time, especially since they tend to cause me a lot of angst.

Think of the time I spend writing about Facebook, which I realize is pretty much a waste of time.  I mean, sure, I have met new people and learned new things courtesy of the Internet.  I have been able to keep in touch with some people that I might have otherwise lost track of years ago.  But then, some of those people turn out to be jerks.  Or they think I'm a jerk.  It's nice when you can unplug and remind yourself that life is best lived offline.

Well... the Internet is being wonky again today, so I'll stop here.  In a couple of days, I'll have lots to share about this trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.