Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day shaming...

It's Memorial Day, which means many Americans have the day off work.  Since the weather is usually nice in late May, if not a bit hot, many people spend the day enjoying themselves.  But some people don't think you should be enjoying Memorial Day.  They post memes like this.




I think the top one is the shittiest of the three examples I've posted here.  

Look, I get that this holiday is intended for people to remember the fallen.  I just don't think we need to shame people for having a good time on a legitimate holiday.  The weather is nice.  The weekend is long.  Junior wants to do backflips into the pool while Dad grills up some steaks.  Big deal.  Memorial Day can be fun and there's no need to shame people who aren't feeling mournful.  Most veterans I know would rather people enjoy their day than sit around moping.  You can have a good time and still have respect for the fallen.

I don't understand why so many people feel the need to shame others.  Moral superiority is for the birds.

As for me, I'm sitting here on Memorial Day wondering what will happen in the next couple of months.  The Italy job is still a possibility and we haven't heard about the Germany job.  It pains me to think of moving, even if we get help with the move.  That is a process I absolutely hate.  But I do love Italy.  I also love Germany.  In any case, we won't be moving back to America this year... that is for certain!

Arghhh!



4 comments:

  1. I've never been responsible fro more than packing my own belongings for a move, and even I hate moving. I can only imagine the headaches associated with packing up an entire household.

    I think you're fortunate to be out of the U.S. for awhile. I'm seriously considering putting a Canadian program at the top of my match list for residency. My reason is mainly that they're offering something I'm not sure I can get elsewhere in the amount of time it would take to get the job done there as opposed to my motivation being political, but I admit that being out of the u.s. for the next few years isn't a prospect that bothers me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love living abroad. I love Italy and I love Germany. One thing that is worth considering is that if you love living abroad, it makes sense to be a contractor. If you go GS, you have a time limit as to how long you can stay abroad. Of course, if we go GS, we could be here until 2022... which is way longer than I ever expected.

      But if we stay contractor, there's really no limit, as long as there's a job.

      Delete
    2. My dad was born in Canada so I have dual Canadian / U.S. citizenship. I've never investigated whether or not this gives me greater leverage in the British commonwealth, but I can work in Canada as long as someone chooses to employ me.

      Delete
    3. It may be worth checking out.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.