Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Goodbye zero balance...

Last night, Bill called Hebridean Island Cruises and paid off the balance of the cruise we're planning to take in September.  I was a little sad to do it, since I've had a negative credit card balance for the past month.  That hasn't happened since the mid 1990s, when I lived in Armenia.  The balance for the cruise was a hefty hunk of change and I still need to buy plane tickets, so it may take a couple of months to get everything back down to a debt free balance.  We have been saving for the trip, though, so it won't take years.  ;-)

We still don't know if Bill is going to be able to take this trip with me, although it does look like we won't have to move this summer.  Bill's job interview was rather cursory, seemed to go very well, and afterwards, he was told someone from the benefits department would be calling him to tell him about what the company offers.  So I have a feeling he'll get an offer and it would really have to be poor for him not to take it.  If Bill isn't able to go, either his mom will go with me or I'll just go alone.  The dogs are already booked for boarding and I know where to go in Scotland to catch the bus to the ship.

I hope if Bill gets the job, he'll be able to negotiate coming with me on the cruise.  A lot of people will be starting the job at the same time, which means they will be accruing time off at the same rate.  I figure many of them will want to go somewhere for Christmas or Thanksgiving.  We don't have a need to go anywhere during those times and Bill can stay in town and cover for those who want to go home.  The time we want to travel is just after Labor Day, which means a lot of people will be at work.  By contrast, we could be in town for Labor Day, just as we plan to be local for Memorial Day (Bill's boss is going to Spain).

In a way, it would be interesting if I went on the trip alone.  I haven't done anything like that without Bill in a very long time.  I would miss having him with me, but it would also give me a chance to function by my lonesome.  And that would be good for me...  Besides, Hebridean takes excellent care of its passengers anyway.  I still want Bill to come, though.  I would miss him if he didn't.

Tomorrow, we are headed to Italy for a long weekend.  We're bringing the dogs with us and I hope for delicious food, good wine, and beautiful scenery.  It's been really nice to be able to take these long weekend trips to different places.  One luxury about living in Europe is that you can see a lot of places that aren't necessarily tourist destinations.  We are going to Lake Como, which we have seen before, but this time, we're staying in an apartment right on the lake.

Last time, we stayed in a hotel on a mountain near the lake.  There were no lake views, although the hotel itself was pleasant enough and offered good food.  Actually, the last time we were in the vicinity of Lake Como, we got trapped. But we were only there for the day as opposed to spending the night.  I hear there are storms expected on Friday.  Hopefully, they won't affect us too much.  I could just hang out in the apartment and watch the storm while sipping wine.  That would actually make me happy!

I actually prefer to stay in hotels.  I like really nice hotels with good bedding and awesome showers.  But it sure is nice to be able to bring our dogs with us when we can't book them somewhere.  I would rather not have them with us on vacation, but in some ways it's nice to be able to have them.  It means we save money and don't have to worry about dropping them off or picking them up.  Also, although they can get into trouble when they're with us, we also don't have to wonder how they're doing.

It may seem like we're always taking trips.  Our last one was in February to a tiny French town in Burgundy.  Even though no one has really heard of St. Marcelin de Cray, that trip remains very memorable in a good way.  I'm hoping this weekend's trip is similarly awesome.  At the very least, I hope to eat some good fish or something.

Well, it's time to get dressed and walk the dogs... then I'll make pasta sauce and maybe vacuum and do a load of laundry.  Yep.  I got big plans for the day.


But tomorrow, I get to see this again...




2 comments:

  1. I hope the Lt. Col. gets to go on the cruise with you, but it's nice that you'll be OK either way.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.