Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Ciao Germany?

So... while we were in Italy, I had a very strange feeling that we could end up living there.  It was the same feeling I had three years ago when we visited Germany and I told Bill that I had a feeling he'd get a job there.  In April, when we found out that Bill's company lost its contract, Bill started job hunting.  One of the jobs he applied for is a government service position in Vicenza, Italy.

Bill got an email about three days after he applied, but never heard anything else until yesterday, when he got a tentative job offer.  They didn't even interview him.  Instead, the guy doing the hiring (who knows Bill) called up Bill's military boss and asked for a recommendation.  We now have two days to decide if we want to move to Italy in a couple of months.

It sounds like this would be a no brainer, right?  I mean, it's Italy, for Chrissakes.  But there are a few things we need to consider.  First of all, moving is a huge pain in the ass.  I have done it way too many times over the past ten years and I don't want to do it again.  It means exhausting cleaning, heavy lifting, finding a new place to live and decent landlords, and everything else that comes with moving.  Since Bill would be an overseas hire, it would also mean the government probably wouldn't give him a living quarters allowance, which might make our financial situation leaner than it needs to be.  We could definitely survive on what they'd pay him, but it would be a pretty deep pay cut.

I have seen Vicenza, and while it's by far not the worst place to be, it's a bit frenetic for my tastes.  I would probably learn to love it-- and being an hour away from Venice by train isn't a bad thing.  But I think I prefer Germany's cleanliness and orderliness.  I cringe at the thought of driving and parking in Italy, finding a new dentist, a new vet, and hoping no one breaks into our house.  Apparently, breaking and entering is a problem in the Vicenza area.

On the other hand, it IS a job.  It's also in the government system, which would mean more stability and support.  We would have to move back to the States in five years, but Bill would be building retirement and have actual authority instead of being treated like a temp.  And hopefully, in a few years, we won't have Trump running/ruining things anymore.

Given my 'druthers, I think I'd rather stay in Germany.  But Italy is exciting and beautiful, too, and it's nice to know that Bill is wanted there.  It's crazy that I accurately predicted this job offer, too.  Sometimes my intuition is dead on scary.

Bill still hasn't heard from the new company.  They interviewed Bill last week and will probably offer him a job.  And it will probably be more money.  However, if they don't offer him a job, that will mean moving back to the States... and where, we don't know.  So we have a lot to think about before Friday.

This is just nuts.

2 comments:

  1. Those are heavy decisions to make in such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't want to move. However, it is a good job and a great opportunity for Bill.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.