Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Gimme some damn Ho Hos...

Remember a couple of days ago when I wrote about baggers at the commissary causing a commotion in our local Facebook group?  Well, thanks to that thread and Alexis's most recent blog post, I now have Ho Hos on the brain.

This is what some guy wrote in that thread about baggers...

Holly crap! Just when u think there is so much in Germany to do u waist your time complaining about the baggers at the commissary. They filled your bags, sound like less waist and less trips up the stairs. So if they distributed your hohos,twinkles and donuts you would complain that you had to make ten trip up the stairs ... if you need some one to complain I guess we're here at stuttgart, ain't got crap to do but complain, friends

I figured I shouldn't edit this...

Back in the late 1970s, before kids were required to bring "nutritional" food to school, Hostess cakes were all the rage.  I remember all of my friends bringing Twinkies, Ho Hos, Suzy Qs, Ding Dongs (although they were called King Dons, Ring Dings, and Big Wheels in other parts of the country) and Hostess fruit pies to school.  My mom didn't often buy Hostess cakes for me.  In fact, my mom had a habit of hiding anything that was any good.  I can't say I blame her.  I used to eat all the junk food.  As a side note, I read that they had different names for Ding Dongs because some of the fundie Christians in the South and Midwest didn't like that "ding dong" is a slang term for penis.  It's also a slang term for a stupid person.  Seems like they should have just picked one name and gone with it everywhere.


Interesting video about the Ding Dong controversy.

My mom was partial to Tastykakes, too.  She especially liked the chocolate covered peanut butter "Kandy" cakes.  I liked those and Little Debbies, which were cheaper than Hostess.  But, as far as I was concerned, the cream of the junk food crop was Hostess.  And it was a good day if I had Ho Hos in my lunch box.  I especially loved their cherry pies.  Back in the 70s and early 80s, they made a bunch of different ones.  Name the fruit and they probably made a pie with it.  It was pure sugar and sin.


I took this picture in Scotland back in 2012.  At the time, Hostess was going out of business and it looked like Twinkies were going to become a rare commodity.  The company was later bought and Twinkies are now available again.

I was never a Twinkie fan, although a lot of people loved them.  I thought they were too sweet.


This ad was made the year I was born.  Looks appetizing, right?

If you think about it, a lot of Hostess products were basically the same thing.  Suzy Qs, Ho Hos, Hostess Cupcakes, and Ding Dongs were all basically chocolate cake with artificial cream filling.  Yeah, they were all shaped differently and some had more cream or chocolate coating, but when it came down to it, there wasn't a lot of difference.

Of course, now we know that those cakes were full of artificial flavors and colors and tons of chemicals.  They really aren't good for you.  But I'll be damned if I couldn't go for a Ho Ho right now.  Back in my day, Ho Hos were single cakes wrapped in lightweight foil.  They were chocolate coated, but you couldn't peel off the coating and unwrap the roll the way you can with a Little Debbie cake.  Little Debbie Swiss Rolls were good, but they were cheaper and less chocolatey than Ho Hos were.  I have no idea if that's still the case.  I gave up snack cakes a long time ago.  I do remember a lot of my friends loved Little Debbie Star Crunches... or Oatmeal pies.  Or hell, those chocolate ones they made that were like crack.

Well... this post is about a whole lotta nothing.  Time to get dressed and walk the dogs.  Then I'll come back and think some more about snacking.

2 comments:

  1. The guy seems like a bit of a jerk unless he is totally joking.

    Among the Hostess/ Little Debbie offering, I really only like Ho Hos, fruit pies (cherry or berry), and the brownies, although I cannot eat more than one of the brownies without feeling sick. I could probably eat the chocolate cupcakes except for the cream filling. (I really like the fudgy chocolate frosting on them with the white frosting squiggle across the top.) I agree that Hostess products are higher in quality. There used to be another company on the west coast that produced some of the snack cakes, my mom said. She's not sure if it was anywhere besides on the west coast. She remembers specifically that it was not in Ireland, in Minot, North Dakota, or in Omaha, Nebraska. The company was called Dolly Madison, and it was affiliated with Rainbo Bread, where the Hostess products were originally affiliated with Wonder bread. My mom liked their chocolate-frosted donuts because they were a lighter chocolate, and she liked their frosted cinnamon rolls.

    Right now I'm Jonesing (if you can call something "Jonesing" when you've never eaten it before) for a Mallomar.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Dolly Madison cakes. We had them in Virginia, too.

      As for the guy's comment, yes, it was kind of shitty. That was a sample of some of the comments on that particular controversy.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.