Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Fifteen years ago...

He still makes me beam.  Although I was beaming in this picture because he was groping me...

Okay, so I'm a day late with this post because I temporarily got distracted by the commissary baggers controversy.  I was reminded yesterday that Bill and I got officially engaged on March 13, 2002.  At the time, Bill was stationed at the Pentagon.  We had already decided to get married a couple of months prior, while chatting online.  March 13th was to be the big official proposal day, though.

I had driven from South Carolina to Virginia to stay with Bill for a night.  March 14th, I was going to fly to Montego Bay in Jamaica because my sister was getting married and I was to sing at the ceremony.  Bill made reservations at the lovely Georgetown restaurant, 1789.  At the time, Ris LaCoste, a wonderful DC area chef, was still executive chef at 1789.  I believe she now has her own place in DC.  I would love to go back there and visit sometime.

I remember Bill and I dressed up.  I put on a pretty black velvet dress and wore seed pearls from India that one of my sisters had given me after a trip there.  Bill wore his best hand me down suit.  We had a wonderful dinner, served by a very entertaining waiter who took a great picture of us.  At the end of the meal, which we'd had to choose carefully due to Bill's precarious financial position at the time, Bill pulled out a black box from Mervis and said, "Well... would you?

I laughed and agreed.  We left 1789 an engaged couple.

This was the photo the waiter took of us.  I wish my hair was still that cute.

The next morning, Bill took me to DCA and put me on the plane to Jamaica.  I sang at my sister's wedding and came back to the DC area three days later.  Bill was waiting for me at the airport.  He'd thought to bring me a jacket because he figured I'd still be dressed for tropical weather.  If I recall correctly, I wore a pair of denim shorts and a sweatshirt.  However, it was lucky he brought the jacket because my bag didn't make the flight to DC during a too quick stop in Miami.

Although I had planned to go back to South Carolina the next day, I had to wait for my bag to arrive.  I ended up spending an extra night with Bill.  I remember it meant I had to miss a day of field placement for my social work internship.  I don't remember minding too much.

Fifteen years later, we're still happy, despite all of the challenges that come with life.  He still makes me laugh.  No one makes me smile the way he does.  He still does things that are kind and thoughtful.  Last night, he made a killer dinner consisting of oven fried chicken, peas, and mashed potatoes.  I still feel so fortunate to know Bill and to get to love him the way I do.

I recorded this yesterday and it pretty much sums up how I feel...

I've been struggling with the lingering effects of illness, so pardon me.  But the lyrics are where it's at.  One year ago, we also went to Glasgow, Scotland in preparation for our Hebridean whisky cruise.

I may be back later with my usual snark.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.