Thursday, February 16, 2017

Oklahoma politician wants to treat pregnant women as "hosts"...

Forgive me for the title of this post (ETA: I had originally written a much more scathing title).  It just makes me so angry to see misogynistic people in power.  Yesterday, I read the sad tale of Oklahoma Representative Justin Humphrey and his assertion that pregnant women are merely "hosts" who should be forced to stay pregnant.  Humphrey's rationale is this...

“I understand that they feel like that is their body. I feel like it is a separate—what I call them is, is you’re a ‘host,'” he told The Intercept this week. “And you know when you enter into a relationship you’re going to be that host and so, you know, if you pre-know that then take all precautions and don’t get pregnant.”

Except sometimes women who get pregnant didn't get that way consensually, Justin.  And yes, it's the woman's body and her body and its needs should trump (see what I did there) that of a fetus that isn't yet viable.  

Look... I have never been pregnant, so I've never had an abortion.  However, I don't remember my time in the womb at all.  I know for a fact my own mother would have preferred to stop at three kids. I was number four and I suffered for it.  I often wonder how life would have been for her if she'd had an abortion.  It's not like my presence here does a lot for anyone, except maybe Bill and my dogs.  If my mother had aborted me, I doubt I would have known what hit me.  I simply wouldn't have existed.  It would have been one less body for the planet to support.

I find it utterly repugnant that there are men in power in the United States who would term a pregnant woman a "host".  That is just vile.  When I think of a host, I think of parasites, not developing fetuses.  I think if Humphrey wanted to push this agenda, he could have come up with language that doesn't reduce women to mere "hosts", as if they were animals infested with fleas and ticks.  Why do women vote for guys like Humphrey, anyway?  I know some of them must have.  He sees them as mere "hosts".  

And why don't guys like Humphrey tell men that they need to be responsible as to where they stick their dicks?  Why is it always solely the woman's fault if she gets pregnant?  Humphrey also thinks men should have to give permission for a woman to have an abortion.  I can see the loopholes for that bullshit a mile away.  How can they prove who fathered the fetus while it's in utero?  Are they going to take that step for any woman in Oklahoma who wants to terminate a pregnancy?  What about rapists and child molesters?  What will end up happening is women who want abortions will find sympathetic male friends to give them "permission".  It won't solve the problem; it'll just block women from getting the care they need.

This kind of shit makes me sick.  I hate reading it.  I hate that sexist asshole guys like Humphrey are making wrong-headed laws that good people have to obey.  Anyway... if you want to read more about this, click here to go to BBC.  

2 comments:

  1. There are places in the u.S. that mke california look like Paradise. Host? That would make the baby in some cases a parasite. since when are human hosts forced to allow parasites in their space.

    I don't like the idea of abortion, either, but I like even less the idea of men telling women what they can or cannot do with their own bodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The men who make these suggestions uniformly have the appearance and attitude of neanderthals. It's just sickening.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.