Friday, February 10, 2017

Hammered dirt...

Before I met Bill, I never heard of someone being described as being "dumber than hammered dirt."  And in case anyone is wondering, no one has ever described Bill that way.  It's just one of those funny sayings that floats around the military... or perhaps just among southerners.

Lately, there has been an influx of people who seem dumber than hammered dirt.  Or maybe they aren't necessarily dumb, but they lack common sense.  I'll give you an example of what I mean.

A new person and his wife just arrived in the area.  They are both under 21, which means they aren't allowed to rent a car.  Their own car is obviously not here yet.  They have a cat who is flying in to Frankfurt on Saturday, which is a couple of hours away from Stuttgart.

They have just asked the community what they can do about picking up the cat.  They asked about the train, but they also asked about a ride to and from Frankfurt, for which they are willing to pay gas money.  The best part of this is that their cat's arrival is at approximately 6:00am, so they'd need to leave no later than 4:00am.

Now, I'm sure there are people out there who are kind enough or crazy enough to sign up for such a favor.  Consider this, though...  It's very early Saturday, which for many people is their one day to sleep in (if they aren't churchgoers).  There's not going to be a lot of money involved, since this couple will only pay gas money.  They will be dealing with a cat, who will probably be pissed off after being on a plane for many hours.  And since this couple is new to the area, no one knows them.  Some people are good at making friends quickly and some aren't.

As it turns out, Bill and I are going to Frankfurt on that day because we're picking up his mother.  But we aren't going to be leaving the house at 4:00am.  If we were going to sign up for such a favor, it would mean we'd have to leave the house before 4:00am, since we live a good 30-45 minutes (depending on traffic) from the installations, which is where I gather these people are right now.  Besides, Bill is very allergic to cats, to the point at which his eyes water profusely if he's around them.

Everyone is telling this couple to take the train, which is probably their best bet.  They seem a little hesitant, which I guess is natural.  We in the United States aren't necessarily well versed in train travel (depending on where you live, that is).  But it's one of those life lessons that everyone who lives in Europe needs to learn.  Besides, the train would probably be faster than driving, anyway.

That's the end of my anecdote for today.  I'm feeling even better today than I was yesterday.  I got even more sleep this morning and may even go back to bed and snuggle under the cozy flannel duvet I haven't been using.  I don't know why I didn't use it sooner.  It's a lot nicer than the expensive one I just took off the bed because it's falling apart.  I think I was afraid the flannel would be too hot, but it's actually really comfortable.

Anyway, aside from a little residual fatigue and coughing, I think I might have licked this sickness.  Thank God it's Friday, too.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.