Friday, February 17, 2017

Bill's last Christmas gift finally arrives...

Back in November 2016, Bill told me he was excited about a newly developed high-tech kitchen appliance.  Priced at $129, the Anova Precision Cooker looked like something a geek like him needed to have post haste.  Off I went to order it, but there was a dilemma.  Should I get one for the United States or Europe?  Ultimately, I decided on getting a 220 version, because it looks like we could be living in Germany for awhile (as of today, anyway).

Next, I had to determine where I wanted the thing sent.  Originally, I was going to have it sent to Germany.  But then it occurred to me that if I had it sent to our house, I could be hit with a bunch of customs fees.  I don't mind paying those if I know what they are ahead of time and have the money on hand.  Unfortunately, it's hard to tell how much you'll pay and I don't routinely keep cash in the house.

So then I thought maybe I'd have it sent to APO.  But I couldn't have the thing sent to APO, because the company wouldn't send things to APO.  I had it sent to Bill's mom in Texas instead.

A couple of weeks later, I got an email letting me know that the precision cooker was backordered and it would be a couple more weeks before they could ship it.  The email indicated I could cancel the order if I wanted to, but I knew Bill was really wanting that new tool.  To their credit, the company delivered the cooker to my mother-in-law on December 23rd.

Four days later, mother-in-law put the new gadget in the mail to our APO.  For some reason, she wrote that the box was full of books instead of an electronic item.  It got put on the "slow boat" because it was considered media mail.  Consequently, Bill's new toy just arrived yesterday.  That's February 16th, which I guess makes it more of a Valentine's Day gift.  And it's just in time for us to leave for the next week.  On Sunday, we're packing up and going to France for the week.  We'll spend three nights in Ribeauville, then move on to Burgundy for four nights.  I'm really looking forward to it, even though the dogs will be with us.


Bill's new toy...

Bill also got new beer brewing equipment last week that he can't wait to break in.  I'm sitting here thinking it's time to expand my own interests.  The SingSnap SNAFU makes me think it's time to make music somewhere other than a stupid karaoke site with idiots around.  

Anyway... it'll be fun to see what Bill does with his new toy.  Maybe it's time for me to invest in a new toy, too.  ;-)



2 comments:

  1. I want to marry a man who cooks.

    Have fun in France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always train them to. That's what I did. ;)

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.