Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Yet another creepy male politician wants to criminalize abortion...


I was reading Facebook's On This Day earlier this morning and I see that three years ago, I posted about Marlise Munoz, a pregnant brain dead woman in Texas who was being kept alive artificially for the sake of her fetus.  A Texas judge ordered hospital officials to take the woman off of the ventilator because that was what the family wanted.  In Texas, at least in 2014, it was illegal to withhold life-sustaining medical treatment from a pregnant patient.

For some reason, many Texans are extremely concerned about the status of women's wombs.  Texas Republicans are especially obsessed with abolishing abortion rights.  Three years after I posted about Marlise Munoz and the extreme measures her family had to go to in order to let her die, I read about Tony Tinderholt, yet another Texas Republican who is obsessed with controlling pregnant women.  Tinderholt has just introduced the Abolition of Abortion in Texas Act, a bill that would make abortion a criminal offense.

While it's not surprising to me that a Texas Republican would introduce anti-abortion legislation that is blatantly unconstitutional, what did surprise me was Tinderholt's rationale.  He says,

"Right now, they don’t make it important to be personally responsible because they know that they have a backup of ‘oh, I can just go get an abortion.’ Now, we both know that consenting adults don’t always think smartly sometimes. But consenting adults need to also consider the repercussions of the sexual relationship that they’re gonna have, which is a child.”

Let's think about this for a minute.  Since men can't get pregnant and women can, this basically means that only women are responsible for the repercussions of having sex that results in an unintended pregnancy.  Mr. Tinderholt would never have to worry about being prosecuted under this law, nor would any man in Texas, unless he was an abortion provider.  But lots of women-- including those who are impregnated due to rape or incest, or have a medical situation that warrants abortion-- would be subjected to this rule.  Tinderholt did not make any exceptions in his legislation because he doesn't think, "there should be any exceptions to murder, no matter what."

You know... I'm really glad I don't live in Texas now...  and I'm glad I'm getting to an age at which I no longer have to worry about getting pregnant.  I probably ought to quit reading the news, because every day, I see something like this that gets my blood boiling.  I am shocked by how many creepy politicians there are trying to pass laws like this one.  It doesn't even seem to occur to these womb obsessed men that pregnancy can be very difficult for women.  For some women, it can even be deadly.  Why are so many politicians so concerned about populating the earth with more babies?  Especially since we can't seem to give all of the people who are already born what they need to survive?

It really makes me feel sick to my stomach to see guys like Tinderholt in a position of making laws for everyone.  He seems to have a very patriarchal, condescending, sexist attitude toward women.  It's beyond offensive that he would suggest that criminalizing abortion would make women more responsible about sex.  Interesting that he would feel so strongly about responsibility, since it doesn't seem to extend to his marriages.  Tinderholt has been married five times to four different women.  

I have never met a woman who is so callous about abortion that she'd say something like, "Oh, yeah, we can have sex because if I get pregnant, I can just have an abortion."  Maybe there are women out there who are like that, but my guess is those women are pretty sociopathic.  The vast majority of women don't have such a careless attitude about the prospect of terminating a pregnancy.  Moreover, it REALLY is no one else's business!  

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, though... This isn't the first time Tony Tinderholt has done something ridiculous.


Sigh...


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah. He's fucking nuts. I am glad I'm not in Texas now. And I think it's shameful that he got elected.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.