Saturday, January 21, 2017

"Oh educated one..."

Someone called me that last night because I disagreed with his assertion that the United States has the best healthcare in the world.  He basically said that was why it costs so much... because it's so good!

I had to refute that logic because I know that the United States does NOT offer the best healthcare in the world.  Sure, it's very expensive healthcare, but that does not make it better than care one might get in, say, Sweden.  Several other people agreed with me.

The "oh educated one" comment came about because I told him that I have an advanced degree in public health and have "actually studied this shit".  And I have.  It's an interest of mine.  But you don't have to have a degree in public health to be able to find the data on healthcare standards.  All you really have to do is use Google.

We spend a huge amount of money on healthcare, but the healthcare we receive is not the best in the world.  Far from it.  In fact, if healthcare is so expensive that people can't access it, how can it be the best?  Medical tourism is a huge business thanks to our "great and expensive" healthcare system.

The guy continued to want to argue with me.  He probably thinks I'm uppity, as a lot of folks in the military community tend to do.  Many military men are especially peeved by being challenged by a woman. An educated woman scares and annoys the shit out of them.  My own dad, a military man himself, hated it when I would show him that I have a brain and didn't just accept what he said wholesale.  He claimed that made me "arrogant".  

I eventually told the guy that I really didn't care what he wanted to believe regarding U.S. healthcare.  If he wants to be ignorant, that's his affair.  I know better, though, because it's something I've spent significant time learning about in an accredited school of public health.  An American school, mind you... and even the people running the school admitted that the United States doesn't offer the best healthcare.  We've got a lot of work to do-- especially regarding infant mortality rates.

And then, unbelievably, the guy asked me what my husband thinks about my comments.  I told him that my husband is smart enough to know about what subjects he should or should not debate with me.  I don't try to tell him about life in the military or as a military contractor because that is not my area of expertise.  Likewise, he doesn't try to tell me about things I know more about than he does.  Then I told the guy that it was getting late and I was tired and going to bed.  And I wished him a good night.

I did get a chuckle out of the guy calling me "Oh educated one," though.  I had a feeling my comment about having formally studied public health would irritate him.  Hee hee hee...

And really, it's funny this was even being discussed, given the number of people in our community who get Tricare benefits and therefore pay very little for healthcare, and often receive it in antiquated settings at military treatment facilities.  The best indeed...  Ha ha hahahahahaha!  (and yes, I know the military has built a few new hospitals)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.