Monday, January 23, 2017

Marching women with pussy hats...


A giant grassroots gathering!

In case you haven't heard, there was a massive worldwide women's march on Saturday.  I wasn't a part of the march because I preferred to hang out with Bill and go out for Mexican food.  The Mexican food we ate, by the way, was excellent.  It was definitely the best we've ever had in Germany.  I reviewed the restaurant and got lots of excited readers who will probably make the trip to Fellbach for their next Mexican fix.

A lot of my local friends went to Heidelberg to march for women's rights.  Some of my friends, not necessarily the ones in Germany, wore pink "pussy" hats on their heads.  They looked to me more like cat ears rather than vaginas.  Pussy is still a euphemism for cat, right?  But anyway, I guess the hats were interpreted as "va jay jay" hats by some people.  Some people said it was hard to take the women who wore them seriously.  

I read an interesting viral rant yesterday by a woman who feels that women from the United States (and perhaps other "first world" countries) ought to sit down and STFU.  The woman who wrote the rant feels that women shouldn't be marching for rights they already have, or they should be marching for people who have it "worse" than they do.


I think this may have been the original version of the rant, but I'm not sure...  I think the original writer's name is Brandi, but I've also seen it attributed to someone named Christy.  It resonated with a lot of women.

Now, far be it for me to tell the author of this rant that she has no right to express her opinions.  Like I said, I didn't march on Saturday.  I'm not one for crowds.  I prefer to make my voice heard through writing.  Many of my friends did march, and they all pretty much said it was a "beautiful experience".  A lot of my friends have posted pictures of themselves wearing their hats, carrying signs, smiling broadly, and looking like they feel good about what they did.  

One friend posted a hilarious and very creative poster made by her super bright eleven year old daughter.  She made a sign that read "Dump Trump".  It depicted him as a pile of shit with flies swarming around him.  The flies were all the people in Trump's cabinet.  I was so impressed with the girl's intelligence, remembering that when I was eleven, I didn't give a flying fuck about politics.  Even if I had, I don't think I would have come up with the concept my friend's daughter did...  and if I had, my very conservative dad would have probably strongly chastised me for expressing it.  My dad was big on "respect", even if it was forced respect.    

For the past few days, I've read a number of pleas from people, especially conservative folks, begging their friends to calm down, get over it, come together, and be unified.  Well, these women who wore their pink pussy hats and marched in cities around the world did come together.  They did something that made them feel heard and, from what I could tell, they were greatly energized and empowered by the experience.  It appeared to me that the women who chose to march drew a lot of positive energy from the event, which I think a lot of them really need right now.  I know I've been feeling rather hopeless and sad lately.  Maybe I should have marched, too, if only because the exercise would have done me a lot of good.

Moreover, while I get that many women from so-called developed countries have it pretty good, not all of them do.  The women who "don't have it so good" don't have a voice.  It's obvious to me that a lot of women around the world felt the need to make a statement.  And they did.  Maybe some people don't agree with or understand their statement, but it's a beautiful thing that they had the power to speak out to the world.  Women, even those from the United States, have not always enjoyed that kind of freedom to express themselves.  

Of course, the author of the above post is also free to express herself, at least for right now.  However, history has shown us that when it comes to people in power, if you give them an inch, a lot of times they'll take a mile.  A policy change here, a repealed law there, a new guideline here and pretty soon you'll find your world has changed, and maybe not in a way that is better for everyone.  The power to peacefully protest is very important and should be preserved for everyone.  

For the record, I would never call someone who didn't march a "disgrace to women".  I guess, to me, it just seems like the women who marched did something significant that matters to them.  They didn't harm anyone when they marched and they may have actually helped, if only to soothe those who feel disenfranchised, scared, and angry in the wake of Donald Trump's election, Brock Turner's shockingly light jail sentence, and conservatives' relentless attacks on women's rights to choose abortion.

One more thing.  No matter how many people tell me to "get over it", "put on my big girl panties", "deal with it", "stop whining", or whatever, I will probably NEVER respect Donald Trump as the U.S. president.  I think it's a disgrace that he was elected and, honestly, I think the people who are supporting him are delusional.  But those are just my opinions and I certainly wouldn't tell someone else how to vote.  I recognize that people have their reasons for feeling the way they do, even if I don't always understand or agree with their reasons.  Besides, I realize that there is a possibility that I'm wrong.  Maybe Trump will ultimately be good-- every cloud has its silver lining.  But based on his first actions as president, I really don't think so.  Sorry.

Anyway... I, for one, am happy so many women chose to march on Saturday.  I'm glad they wore their pussy hats.  I'm glad they had a good time and made positive memories.  I hope they can continue.  More importantly, I hope they maintain the freedom to continue if they choose.



  

2 comments:

  1. My mom and her co-workers marched with those pink pussy hats. My aunt either knitted or crocheted my mom's hat.

    I had a CT scan and am waiting around for a colonoscopy, which should happen in the next fifteen minutes or so. I'll be drugged enough that I won't care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're feeling better soon.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.