Thursday, January 26, 2017

Lame apologies...

So...  a few weeks ago, I wrote a post about Bill being a sneaky snake.  In that post, I wrote that on Christmas day, Bill was going to leave his daughter a Facebook message on his stepmother's page.  Ordinarily, this would not be anything newsworthy to the average person.  If Bill and his younger child had a relationship, he would feel quite free to write her a message on Facebook, right?  But Bill hasn't seen his daughter since 2004 and the last direct communication he got from her was a letter she sent disowning him back in 2006.  So leaving her a Facebook message was kind of a big deal.

Anyway... last night, Bill told me that his daughter actually responded to him.  I didn't see the exact message she wrote, but it basically boiled down to "Hello.  Sorry for what happened all those years ago."  I think there may have been more to the message, but that was the gist of it.

Edited to add...  Now I remember.  She actually wrote that she had meant to send Bill an invitation to her wedding, but didn't know how. Really?  She couldn't have asked Bill's dad for contact information?  Smells a little like bullshit to me, but whatever.  Now that I think about it, her older brother said something similar when Bill confronted him about changing his last name (again).  He said he wanted to tell Bill about it, but didn't know how to contact him.  But he was telling him that in an email...  Hello?  Obviously, he did know how to contact him.  He just didn't have enough respect or integrity to come clean.  Anyway, it's probably a blessing that younger ex daughter did not send Bill a wedding invite.  That would have been...  awkward.

Bill sent his daughter a private message letting her know that if she has questions, she is free to send him a message.  He said it didn't seem right to have a dialog with her on his stepmother's Facebook page.  So far, she hasn't responded.

Bill told me that he had a feeling the apology was her way of not looking like a jerk.  He doubts it's a sincere apology.  But then, how do you apologize for disowning your father?  He also thinks that she was probably expecting him to say "All is forgiven." the way his father and stepmother did.

I suppose it's a start that she wrote the word "Sorry." although it seems really lame to do it publicly on an unrelated Facebook thread about someone's dog dying.  She should have done it privately.  But maybe it's a sign that she has some empathy or maybe she's just bright enough to realize that if she's shitty to Bill on his stepmother's Facebook page, it could jeopardize her relationship with Bill's dad and stepmother.  I don't know.  She's 23, apparently very immature, and clearly sheltered.  I will concede that simply writing the word "Sorry." is a start, even if it's not sincere.

I guess I'm not surprised that she responded.  She probably has a lot of questions.  She struck me as very curious when I met her in 2003.  And while she may not have ulterior motives, she was raised by someone who has a constant agenda.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  They aren't through with Bill.  I am sure there will be more contact eventually.  I just don't know if it will be a good thing.  I plan to stay out of it as much as possible, though I will probably write about it.






2 comments:

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.