Saturday, January 14, 2017

Bon jour...

We enjoyed a pleasant drive to France yesterday.  There was snow and the weather is cold and gloomy, but Ribeauville is a very charming little town.  The apartment I rented is very dog friendly.  The proprietor came over to see us last night and Zane and Arran were happy to greet him.  I could tell the feeling was mutual.  So maybe today, Bill and I will have the chance to have lunch in a restaurant and not have to worry about the dogs freaking out.  I think there will be others arriving in one of the four apartments the guy owns, but as long as we can get to one or two places, I think I'll be happy.

I always enjoy visiting France.  I love how when we cross the border from Germany, things change subtly and then more obviously.  And the French are probably even more dog friendly than the Germans are.  Dogs go everywhere here.  I wish mine were a little less spastic in public.

Bill and I have been doing a lot of chatting on this trip.  Since the weather isn't very good, I'm not sure we'll do a lot more than walk around and shop.  But it's nice to get away from our little town and see something new, hear a different language, not sit around and drink beer waiting for the sun to come out again...

Zane is pretty much back to his old self.  That CBD oil is something of a miracle cure.  He still seems a little sore on one of his legs, but the incessant licking and chewing has stopped.  He's bright and friendly and playful.  I don't know how long this will last, but it's really good to see him being the way he was.  I still worry about the few lumps he has, but they aren't changing, don't look angry, and aren't really hard and ominous.  We'll take him in on Tuesday and get his blood drawn to find out if he needs antibiotics.

Arran is being his usual sweet self, too.  He scared the hell out of me last night, though, because I got up to pee and when I came back to bed, he was in my spot.  It was really dark, so I didn't see him.  I laid down and he started shrieking.  Then he got up and made himself a bed on the couch.  In the wee hours of the morning, he came in and gently inserted himself back in bed with us.  Arran has blossomed into such a loving dog.  He's definitely more temperamental than Zane is and much more willing to fight for what he wants.  But if he loves you, he gives you his whole heart.  And of all the dogs we've had, Arran has had the most empathetic heart.  He knows when Bill or I am sad and he's very good at comforting us with doggy hugs and kisses.

I read a pretty sad story from last month this morning.  A woman from Kentucky who voted for Donald Trump is now realizing that she could lose her health insurance.  This is a very serious problem for her, because her husband has non alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver and needs a transplant.  They had previously not been able to afford insurance and got it under the ACA.  She was under the impression that the law couldn't be repealed.  I have a bad feeling that many people who voted for Trump are about to find out the realities of what the next few years will be like.  Of course there will be some people who like and admire Trump.  Some will think he's a great president.  Time will tell...


"When It All Goes Wrong: We'll Turn This Ship Around" by Christine Lavin from christine lavin on Vimeo.

Once again, Christine Lavin is spot on.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.