Wednesday, December 21, 2016

The Osmonds sing to America, Zane's blood test, Richard Marx, and kids won't be marching for Trump...


Are they really singing "Dixie"?  

Because it's Christmas time, I shared a video of the Osmonds singing Christmas carols from around the world with a group I'm in.  One of my friends in the group made a comment about Jimmy Osmond, prompting me to find a video of him and his family singing in church.  The follow up video was the one I posted above.  Looks like all the Osmonds and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing with them.  I couldn't really stomach watching the whole thing, so I skipped through it...  but I thought it might be fun viewing for my exMormon readers.

Last week, the vet told us that all of Zane's bloodwork came back normal, except for the ehrlichiosis test.  We knew that one would be positive, since he did have it a few years ago.  Now she wants to draw more blood and do a more sensitive test to see if he's been reinfected.  My guess is that he won't have a new infection.  But if he does, the vet will probably be very impressed with me.  Bwahahaaha.  Zane is still doing fine, for the most part.  He's still not as perky as he used to be, but he's not obviously sick.  He loves his walks, naps, and food.  Actually, since I put him on Tagamet, his appetite has been better than it's ever been.

I read that Richard Marx, now married to former MTV VJ Daisy Fuentes, saved the day on a flight to South Korea.  I posted it on Facebook and there were endless Marx jokes.  I was then reminded of an article I read a few years ago about how Marx harassed a blogger for writing snarky things about him on his blog.  For me, the biggest surprise was that Richard Marx married Daisy Fuentes.  Crazy.

And finally, last night I ran across a news article about how, for the first time in 20 years, high schools in the Washington, DC area are declining to send their marching bands to perform in the inaugural parade.  One of my friends decided to make a snarky remark about how kids today are "special snowflakes".  I wrote this in response.

I doubt that. Actually, I'm sure there are some band students who are disappointed that they won't be marching in the inaugural parade. And others, particularly the ones in DC high schools, probably want no part of it. I wouldn't assume the students are "snowflakes", though, because it probably wasn't their decision not to participate. And most of them didn't vote, anyway.

My friend didn't read very closely and wrote that it would be an "honor" to march in the inaugural parade, no matter your political beliefs.  I asked him to re-read what I wrote.  

Kids in high school may or may not be interested in politics.  I wasn't at all interested in politics when I was a teenager.  Times have changed since the 1980s and kids are exposed to a lot more than we were in my day, but they probably haven't changed that much.  Regardless, the kids who might have been marching, by and large, are not even old enough to vote.  And none of them would have personally been responsible for deciding not to march.  That was a decision made by their leaders.  Some of them might be disappointed that they don't get to march in the parade.  A lot of them, I figure, will be just as happy to fuck off for the day.  Depending on Trump's legacy, they may or may not be sad that they weren't allowed to march.

What I found most interesting about the article were the many thousands of comments, a lot of which were apparently written by idiots.  Trump is apparently the least popular president-elect in history, but plenty of people want to scream about "disrespect".  Was Trump respectful when he spoke about grabbing women by the pussy?

I don't think even George W. Bush had this much opposition before he took office.  A lot of people are feeling very scared about the future.  And given that Washington, DC is a very liberal place and many of the residents are people of color, it makes sense that the local high schools would rather not perform for Trump (who apparently doesn't even want to live in the White House).  Indeed, some of the kids' parents might even fear for their children's safety at such an event.  There could be violence.

So there you have it.  The chimney sweep is coming today.  In Germany, the law says you have to have your chimney swept every year, even if you don't have a fireplace.

2 comments:

  1. Even though I'm about four years older than the oldest high school students should be, I've been lumped into the "special snowflake" category more time than I'd care to remember. You're right that it's ridiculous to blame high school band members for anyone's choice not to have a given high school band march through an inaugural parade.

    The travel aspect wouldn't apply to the D.C. schools, but when I was in high school, my high school band was invited to perform in Bush #2's second inaugural parade. The trip would have been so incredibly expensive (we planned and fundraised for major trips for several years in advance) and logistically difficult that it was out of the question even to consider it. For the D.C.-are schools, the logistics could be prohibitive for this inaugural parade. And I wouldn't want my kid there. The parade route could be a dangerous place on that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accidentally deleted your first comment. Sorry about that!

    I agree that Trump's inauguration could be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.