Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Goodbye Donnie...

Just as I was about to go to sleep last night, I got the news that a dear friend of my family's had suddenly passed away on Christmas Day.  Donnie lived in the town where my mother grew up.  He was a professional musician, who played saxophone and sang lead in a band with my uncle for about six decades.  Donnie and my uncle were the entertainment at my wedding reception.  I used to get up and sing with Donnie when he and my uncle played at the hotel where my uncle used to be the general manager.

Donnie had been dealing with some health problems recently.  He'd had pneumonia and his heart was giving him trouble.  Indeed, a massive heart attack was what killed him as he and his wife were headed to his wife's twin sister's house for dinner.

I don't know many more details about how Donnie died, but I do remember how he lived.  He truly was one of the kindest, friendliest, most good-natured people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.  He was a wonderful musician and a devoted friend, especially to my uncle, but also to the rest of my family.  He genuinely cared very deeply about people and because of that, people cared about him.

He will be missed, not just in his community, but also in the hearts of so many of the people he entertained over the years.  I was not a blood relative of Donnie's, but he might as well have been one of my uncles.  While I'm glad to know that his earthly work is done, I will think of him fondly every time I go home to Virginia.  My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and the rest of his many friends and family, who are left to cherish his memory.

Rest in peace, Donnie.   

2 comments:

  1. R,I,P, Donnie. It is right to give proper respect to the good and decent people who made our own lives better in the times that we shared with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really was a very lovely person.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.