Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Barrel bottoms...

I have fantasies about going to Baden-Baden and hitting a nude spa.  But I won't do it because the time isn't right for it.

Zane was perky this morning.  He got up, ate his breakfast, and took a walk.  He seemed a little slow on the walk, but it might be because we went a different route and there were new things to sniff.  He was really happy when I asked him if he wanted to take a walk.  He picked up his favorite stuffed rabbit and carried it down to the living room, then got on his back and rolled around on the rug.

I'm still worried about him, even though he's not really sick.  Last night, he woke me up at 3:00am for a pee break.  He went out, did his business, and then scooted his butt on the floor.  That made me wonder if he had anal tumors.  But then this morning, he took a perfectly normal dump.  So it's probably just my overactive anxiety surging again.

This time of year is tough for me for many reasons.  Four years ago, our beloved MacGregor was dying of spinal cancer.  For about two weeks, we were led to believe he didn't actually have cancer.  But then it turned out he did; the cancer was devastating and inoperable and we had to let him go a week before Christmas.  I don't think Zane is anywhere close to that situation right now, but I still dread it, even though I know logically that most dogs eventually get sick and all of them die.  It's part of having pets.

Anyway... enough about that.  I need to try to relax and not be so upset about the dog.  What's going to happen will happen when it's time.  Such is the way of the world.

Here's a funny story I just read on RfM.  Some guy was sitting at home watching TV when his kids told him he was wanted on the phone.  He answers, and it's the stake president wanting to know if he'd share his testimony at stake conference this weekend.  The guy started laughing and the stake president wanted to know what was so funny.

It turned out the RfM poster had been excommunicated years ago!  And he told the president that he was quite sure people wouldn't want to hear what he had to say about the Mormon church.  The stake president said, "Quite so." and hung up.  Sounds to me like the church is having to scrape the bottom of the barrel for testimonies these days.

The thread continues with another person writing about how she was disfellowshipped from the Jehovah's Witnesses and how they reacted when she told a pair of them about it.  JWs are forbidden to associate with people who have left the faith or been disfellowshipped.  So when she told the JWs she was disfellowshipped, their reaction was immediate and visceral.  This lady later became a Mormon, but left that religion, too.  Now she's a nurse who works for the Red Cross... where blood is collected for transfusions!  How is that for a change in perspective?

Bill's mom had been attending a church in San Antonio that was led by a friend of mine.  I met this guy in 1994, when we both worked at a church summer camp.  He's now an Episcopalian vicar.  My mother-in-law was thinking of joining the church officially, until she heard my friend say that it was great they had so many new members.  That way, his numbers would be good when he got a visit from his boss.  That statement immediately turned off mother-in-law, who hadn't really enjoyed the contemporary style of the services anyway.  She quit attending.

Sometimes I think I would like to go back to church and meet some people.  I sometimes miss the music, especially.  But then I realize I could easily listen to hymns any time I want to.  And sometimes church people aren't the way they appear.  My old friend, the vicar, has always kind of struck me as not being as holy as he could be.  I like him very much, but I can tell he's got an eye fixed on the business side of his church.  And he wants to live comfortably, too.

Anyway, I doubt Bill wants to go back to church, so I doubt we will.  I do think it's funny that sometimes church comes to you, even after they've kicked you out!



2 comments:

  1. This is really funny. even though i dislike public speaking, I would probably accept if the LDS church invited me to share my testimony, especially in stake conference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It almost makes you wish he'd agreed to do it.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.