Monday, December 26, 2016

2016 needs to die already...

Yet another celebrity has gained wings and gone off to Heaven.  Or... perhaps the edge of Heaven...


So long, George Michael...

It was an unpleasant shock this morning to read that former Wham! frontman and solo artist George Michael died in his Oxfordshire home yesterday.  He was just 53 years old.

It seems like 2016 has been an uncommonly terrible year to be a celebrity with health problems.  So many great artists have died since last January.  And while I know 2016 would like to remind us all that there are still a few days left by killing off relatively young guys like George Michael, I'm beginning to wonder who else is destined not to escape 2016 alive.

In a way, I kind of wonder if maybe some of these folks are dying because the world seems to be going to hell in a handbasket.  A lot of people are lacking hope.  

My earliest memories of George Michael are in 1984, when he and his Wham! partner Andrew Ridgeley made it big with their song, "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go".  It was a hopelessly catchy song with a peppy video.  Every time I hear it, I am reminded of 80s era Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Virginia.  

Most of my teen memories involve a song or two by George Michael, as well as his smash hit album Faith, which came out in 1987.  I was fifteen and I loved the title song from that album, which again was so catchy.  It was more sophisticated than the stuff he did with Wham!  I can't say he was my favorite singer, but I did enjoy a lot of what he did back in the day.  He was way too young to die.

So... I'm thinking 2016 has taken enough artists and performers.  It's time for this year to be over.  I don't know that 2017 will be better, but at least the ever lengthening celebrity death roll for 2016 can finally be put to bed, so to speak.

4 comments:

  1. I liked his duet version of "Don't Let the sun Go down on me" with elton John, too. RIP George Michael.

    i hope Carrie fisher will be OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many stars have died this year.

      Delete
  2. I was especially blind-struck by Robin Williams' demise. That was this year, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.