Wednesday, December 28, 2016

2016 is not going without a fight...

We've lost more people since my last post.  Carrie Fisher died yesterday.  I found out about it as I was resting in bed, contemplating whether or not I'm getting sick.  I wasn't that surprised to hear that she'd died, since I had read about her heart attack on her flight.  I had a bad feeling that it wasn't going to end well for her, given the conditions she was under at the time.  She was another one too young to die.

I will confess that I haven't seen Star Wars, or at least I haven't seen all of it.  I know about the characters because I grew up in the 70s and 80s and Star Wars was all the rage back then.  Lots of my friends collected the action figures and other paraphernalia.  I probably saw a few scenes too, since we had HBO and it seems like that movie was always running.  Suffice to say, Star Wars was never a passion of mine.

I did, however, read Carrie Fisher's book, Wishful Drinking.  I remember finding it very funny and witty and I appreciated her candor about her issues with mental illness.  I especially remember her story about how her parents were kind of the Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie of the day... or was her mother more like Jennifer Anniston?  I don't know.

Richard Adams, author of Watership Down, also died yesterday.  As a child of the 70s and 80s, I read his book and saw the movie.  He was 96 years old, though, so it was probably his time to exit.

In bizarre news, Zsa Zsa Gabor's adopted son, Oliver, also died just days after Zsa Zsa finally entered the great beyond.  I think he was in an accident.

I apologize for sounding a bit flippant in this post, but the endless stream of celebrity deaths this year has gotten absolutely ridiculous.  It's almost like if I didn't laugh about it, wryly, of course, I might have to cry.  I am so ready for 2016 to be history... but even as I write that, I realize that 2017 may well be much worse.

In other news...

Yesterday, I took Zane to get his monthly allergy shot.  There was a bit of a twist to yesterday's visit, though, because Zane got exposed to a tiny amount of tea tree oil.  He was drooling a lot, which made me worry that he might have a mild case of poisoning.  When I told the vet about it, she almost laughed at me.  Granted, Zane was only salivating a lot and sometimes he does that for no apparent reason.  Yesterday could have coincidentally been one of those times.

Anyway, she gave him his injection and some shampoo for his itchy paws that he licks and chews non-stop.  We made plans to see each other again after their holiday next week (they close for three days) so she can check his paws and draw blood for a PCR, to see if Zane needs meds for ehrlichiosis.  He just came in here looking pleasant and contented and has now plopped down on his side by the Christmas tree.

I am feeling a little under the weather myself, so I might go back to bed and do some reading.  Hopefully, whatever has me feeling a little icky will pass quickly and not ruin the New Year's festivities (which mainly consist of staying home and drinking bubbly). 

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if anyone tracks the stats on celeb deaths (there seem to be stats for everything else, so why not that? though there is an arbitrary nature to who is or isn't a celeb, I suppose) but 2016 did seem to be worse, and it's not over yet.

    I have a 104.8 temp right now. My friend Alyssa is reading and typing for me. I'll have to go to the hospital if it gets much higher, but I don't think it will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get well soon!

      1970 was a pretty bad year for celeb deaths, too.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.