Monday, October 31, 2016

Piers Morgan was right...


Yikes.

I remember back in 2007, I was watching the second season of America's Got Talent and got introduced to the mega Mormon family the Duttons.  This is a family that plays together...  

Now, far be it for me to say they aren't talented.  I truly think they are good musicians.  I can appreciate all that goes into their act.  It takes impeccable timing, good collaboration, as well as many practice hours to achieve what they do on a stage.  They do it all, too.  They sing, dance, and play multiple instruments, all while looking exceedingly white and delightsome.

My quarrel with the Duttons is not with their musicianship, because that is very impressive indeed.  What annoys me about the Duttons is that they seem so very hell bent on showing off.  While I know that part of being an entertainer is showing off, there is something about the way they do it that is very irritating.  They all look like they're in the throes of ecstasy as they move around the stage, their corn fed smiles ablaze as they play their fiddles behind their backs.  It comes off as hokey and borderline silly.  I would be more impressed if they canned the tricks and just simply played the songs without all the gimmicks.

I remember being annoyed by the Duttons week after week as they made their way toward the big prize on America's Got Talent.  I remember the very first time they came on the stage, Piers Morgan said there were far too many of them.  


They sure are talented...  but do they have to sic the kids on us?

I agree with what Piers says.  He says there are just too many people.  I tend to agree.  It's like watching a much more musically talented version of the Duggars.  Their act is corny.  I have a pretty high tolerance for corn, but this borders on high fructose corn syrup.  

I'm not sure what made me think of the Duttons this morning.  Maybe it's the chilly fall air and the fact that we just transitioned to standard time again.  They border on Lawrence Welk sensibility.  I'm sure that makes them very popular in Branson, Missouri, though.  It's the heart of Americana corniness and Mormon acts like the Osmonds.  I believe the Osmond Brothers are still performing in Branson.


Hmmm...  I haven't been to Branson yet, but it sounds like good clean fun.


There's something very Spongebob Squarepants about this performance.  Especially when they start singing "Too Much Heaven" by the Bee Gees.  

I had the same reaction to Lindsey Stirling when she was on America's Got Talent.  It was the same kind of thing.  She can't simply play the violin beautifully; she has to play while doing stunts and dance moves.  I know Lindsey Stirling has made it big since she was on AGT and good for her.  I guess I'm just more impressed by good music played well than I am by people who multi-task while they play.  However, I am also a fan of underdogs and I'm glad to see how successful Lindsey Stirling has been since her turn on AGT.  She eventually proved Piers Morgan wrong. 


And yet... even though I am annoyed by groups like the Duttons and sometimes the Osmonds (I actually think the Osmonds are talented, but very cornball), I will admit that I really enjoy watching Natalie MacMaster, Donnell Leahy, and their huge brood of kids perform together.  I'm not sure why they don't annoy me as much as the Duttons do, even though they kind of do the same sort of act.  The whole family gets involved and shows off.  


Natalie MacMaster and Donnell Leahy have six kids, four of which perform on this video, and they're in the family business...

Why is it that I can watch this family perform and get all misty and verklempt?  Meh, I probably just like their music better.  

Happy Monday, everyone... and Happy Halloween.  Hopefully, I'll be less crabby later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.