Saturday, October 22, 2016

It took me over forty years to get so popular!

When I was growing up, I was not popular.  People knew who I was mainly due to my personality.  It's over the top.  Being *known* did not translate to being popular.  I had friends, but not much of a social life.  That trend continued until we moved to Germany for the second time.  Now, I have a social life for the first time in my life.

This afternoon, we have been invited to attend a birthday party.  A week ago, we went to a barbecue.  I've even got ladies to lunch with if I want.  I actually caught myself fretting this morning.  I'm not used to having so many offline friends!  That isn't to say I'm complaining, though.  I genuinely like the people we've met since we've been here.  It's fun to socialize.  What's even more surprising is that Bill, who always claimed to be an introvert, is more of a fan of the parties than I am!

The sad thing about this community is that people are always coming and going.  But, on the positive side, there are always people looking for company.  I think that's one reason why I like living abroad.  You end up meeting an interesting mix of people.  Sometimes you hang out with people you never would in your home country.  I like to mingle with different kinds of people.

Even though we have plans for later, I'm sitting here in my nightgown watching a ridiculous movie from the early 80s.  It's like they found every very popular 80s teen actor and threw 'em together in a cheesy rip off of Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  Check this out...


Seriously...  Anthony Edwards, Michael J. Fox, Todd Bridges, Nancy McKeon, Crispin Glover, Lauri Hendler, Dana Plato...  the list goes on.  I haven't even mentioned the 60s teen stars like Tony Dow, Ken Osmond, Bob Denver, and Dawn Wells.  They keep referring to "preps", who are all walking around with popped collars.

We were so easily entertained in the 80s.  It's no wonder I'm shocked by my new social life.  I always relied on crappy TV.  On the other hand, I feel older than hell watching this.  It doesn't seem like 1983 was that long ago, but it really was. 

I think we're going to go out and try to score some farm fresh goodies today.  I need a topic for my travel blog and tonight's party ain't gonna cut it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.