Thursday, September 8, 2016

There's a terrific moon out tonight...


Do you ever have days during which it seems like there's an inordinate amount of ridiculous drama?  Sometimes I do, even though I mostly hang out on my computer all day.  A lot of drama comes from sources on social media.  Because of the rather unusual characteristics of our local community, a lot of people are connected through Facebook.  You might eventually meet them in person, but for the most part, you only know them online.

The other day, someone new came into our group and wanted to know where she could find friends.  I was feeling a little naughty, so I suggested our local Vents group.  I hang out on Vents a lot and have met some great folks there, many of whom I have even met offline.

Unfortunately, our local venting group doesn't have the best reputation.  The people within it tend to be smartasses who like to poke fun at others.  We do, however, have great barbecues and even have our own t-shirts.

A person who was once a member of our group piped up and said something along the lines that we were all horrible people.  A few months ago, this person had gotten into it with several people in the group.  The argument got kind of nasty and the end result was that she was kicked out.  So now she was telling this newcomer that our group of over 280 people (most of whom don't even post) was full of "horrible people".

That didn't sit right with me.  Since I was feeling a little upset about the news that Zane is going to have surgery and I was also a little high on Belgian beer, I typed "Oh, shut up."  That comment actually got several likes from the community!

The lady came back and said she wished I would shut up with ALL of my posts.  Sheesh!  In retrospect, I probably should have just passed her some Hater Tots.  But instead, I wrote this...

All you have to do is click the block button and I'll shut up.   I was not involved in your drama and I have met some great people in Vents. If it's not for you, it's not for you. But it's not nice to characterize an entire group of people based on your interactions with a few within a group. 

I am proud to say that the lady did decide to block me and I think that's very fine.  I moved on from that drama and promptly got sucked into another involving a disgruntled dog owner who didn't get good pet sitting service.  S/he (it was posted under the wife's account, but the husband later said that he'd written it) wrote a negative a negative review which got spread to several different local Facebook groups.  A big drama ensued involving many screenshots and uninvolved people, myself included, getting involved.  For several hours, a bunch of us were consumed with this Facebook shitshow.

At about 2:00pm yesterday afternoon, I remarked that I'd already met my drama quota for the day.  A friend, one I've actually met in person, said "Is there a full moon in Stuttgart?"  And then I was immediately reminded of this classic clip from the 1984 Tom Hanks film, Bachelor Party.


Unfortunately, this is only part of a hilarious scene that still makes me laugh 32 years later.

So I'm sitting here thinking to myself...  How in the world did I end up in this situation?  Fifteen years ago, I was in my last year of graduate school.  I had big plans to do something interesting with my life.  It was also around the time that Bill and I had our "magical Labor Day weekend" at my grandmother's house in Virginia.  We had only had one "in person" meeting before that weekend and it had been a little awkward.  The next one, which happened at Granny's house, was absolutely amazing.  I emerged from it in love for the very first time in my life.

Then, the next week, 9/11 happened.  Bill was in the Pentagon that day.  He was in the wedge of the Pentagon that was stuck by an airliner.  That was when we decided we needed to tell people we were dating.  Our relationship quickly got serious and we were soon engaged to be married.

Fifteen years later, I have evolved into a housewife who watches Facebook dramas for entertainment and then blogs about them.  What happened to my big plans?  

Well, I can't say that my life hasn't been interesting.  It certainly hasn't turned out the way I thought it was going to.  I prepared for years for a career that I probably wouldn't have enjoyed.  I racked up a lot of debt trying to stay afloat and be relevant.  Then I have a chance meeting with a guy online and we end up getting married.  Now I live in Europe and travel a lot.  I get to do what I wanted to do all along, but I don't really make a living.

It's amazing how life can evolve and take you places you never thought you'd be.  I figure that if I had gone the way I was planning, I'd probably be served a lot of "Hater Tots".  Chances are, I might have found myself working in child welfare or in some other capacity that would put me in touch with more people who would end up hating my guts.  Or maybe I'd just be sitting in a cubicle writing grant proposals.  I'd actually probably be very good a that job and it might get me decent money... but I doubt I would have enjoyed it much.

So, I guess it's okay that my life revolves around the stupidity of Facebook and fretting over my dogs.  Maybe this was all in the master plan.   Or maybe it's all just a bunch of dumb luck.  You just never know where you'll end up or what you'll be doing.


I guess Sheryl Crow was right.  
   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.