Thursday, September 22, 2016

My take on the dissolution of "Brangelina"...

So, a couple of days ago, the whole world learned that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are divorcing after two (count 'em-- two) years of marriage.  Pitt and Jolie, who had been collectively referred to by the press as "Brangelina", had been together since 2004 and were raising six children, three of which were their own biological creations.

I can't say I was totally surprised about the news... although George Clooney was apparently taken aback by it...


Clooney was surprised because he was doing something more meaningful than stalking celebrity news...

Anyway, I generally think it's sad when couples divorce, although there are certainly exceptions.  Like, I'm glad Bill and his ex divorced, even though I am sad for the pain he went through during that process.  And I'm probably glad that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes split up because I think Tom Cruise is batshit crazy and living in a cult and I would hate to see Suri Cruise raised in a cult.  I also hated the whole TomKat hype. 

One thing that does bother me, though, is a certain meme going around the Internet.  Behold...



Yes, it's true.  Angelina Jolie was "the other woman" when Pitt was married to Jennifer Anniston and now another woman has allegedly come between her and Brad Pitt...

A lot of people think Angie is getting her just desserts for "stealing" Brad from Jennifer.  But I'm here to tell you, no functioning adult-- especially someone like Brad Pitt-- can be "stolen" from someone.  Brad is the one who made the commitment to Jennifer and, later, Angelina.  Brad is the one who should get the lion's share of the blame for homewrecking.  This is my opinion even though I know Angie knew Brad was married when they started messing around all those years ago.  The fact is, Brad broke a promise, not Angie.  If anyone's a "homewrecker", it is he.

That being said, I don't think it's a good idea for people to try to have relationships with married people.  I know there are many reasons why people do it.  Sometimes the reasons even make sense.  I had a neighbor who was married, but her husband had Huntington's Disease and lived in a mental hospital for many years.  She dated.  I don't know that I necessarily agree with that, especially since the guys she dated were usually abusive creeps.  But I can understand why she dated because she was in her 30s at the time and lonely... and she had a very sick husband who needed her, lived in a hospital, and would not be the wiser about her extramarital activities.  I don't know that I would have done what she did had I been in her shoes, but I could have some empathy for her situation.

It appears to me that Brad Pitt is simply not the marrying kind.  He likes a variety of women.  He should probably not marry again because he can't be faithful.  I don't know how that feels for him.  I can only have empathy, for him and the women he gets involved with, as well as his children.  However, even though a lot of women think Angelina was a skank for "stealing" Brad, the fact is, she wasn't capable of stealing him.  He made the choice to go along with her, even though he was married.  It probably would have been better if he had ended his marriage before getting involved with Angie.  That's not what happened, though.    

I think if anyone should be the subject of a snarky meme, it should be Brad Pitt.  He's the one who cheated.  He's the "homewrecker".  Angie, bless her heart, probably should have seen it coming from miles away.  On the other hand, since she's also been thrice married, maybe she's not the marrying kind, either.    

I do feel sorry for the kids...  I hope this situation doesn't fuck them up too much.


2 comments:

  1. You're kinder in your outlook toward Angelina than I am. I don't consider her a homewrecker. I just think anyone who aids and abets a cheating spouse is a bit silly and naive if he or she is surprised when the spouse cheats again.

    The accused actress is apparently denying everything on a stack of Bibles or whatever books she considers holy, not that such necessarily means a thing.

    In light of the accusation (supposedly made by one of Angelina's insiders to DCFS) of verbal and physical child abuse against Pitt involving one of their children, it's not hard to believe that disagreements in parenting may not exactly have helped the marital problem (or perhaps the abuse or alleged abuse situation happened as a result of a kid taking sides in parents' fracturing marriage; it's a chicken-or-egg situation). Supposedly the immediate problem was with Maddox, the oldest child. I can see how a kid raised to think he could more or less say or do as he pleased would clash with an at least mildly inebriated parent who had the physique to overpower him.

    She'll get the kids. In this case, I'm not sure that it's a clear win. I think they've combined to create a pack of hooligans.

    I'm very cynical where celebrity marriages are concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure Angelina is no saint. Usually, when these things happen, there's enough blame to go around. My issue is with those who call her out with snarky memes but ignore Brad's part in the so-called homewrecking. An unmarried person who gets involved with a married person is probably not very smart to do so (although there are certainly exceptions). But when it comes down to it, Angie didn't "steal" Brad. He went willingly. Moreover, if he hadn't gotten with her, he would have gotten with someone else.

      As for the accusations about Brad being abusive, I only managed to read part of an article about it this morning until it crashed. I will have to go back and finish reading the details.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.