Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Looks like we're going to visit Northern Ireland next year...

Of course, I'm also hoping we can visit Ireland before 2017.  We have been trying to get there for years.  But I did manage to talk Bill into another Hebridean Island cruise for September 2017.  It originates in Oban, Scotland and hits several places in Northern Ireland before coming back to Oban. I sent a booking request last night and hope to be confirmed by the end of the week.

With any luck, we'll be able to pull this off.  Of course, there's always the chance that Bill's company will lose its contract and we'll have to move again... but I think the odds are good that we'll still be here next year.  Even if Bill's company does lose its contract, the next company would probably hire him or his company would just move him somewhere else.

Bill was reluctant to say "yes" last night, but much to my surprise, this morning he was all for it.  In fact, he asked if we'd gotten a response to the email I sent last night.  I reminded him that England is an hour behind us and it was still the wee hours of the morning there.

Hopefully, this cruise won't end with us worrying about a sick dog, vomiting, or me having a period.  Maybe the third time will be the charm?  I hope to finally break this bad luck curse I seem to have when I go to Scotland.


2 comments:

  1. I, too, hope your curse breaks.

    I'm highly curious about Northern Ireland. I'm told there are still places where either Protestants or Catholics don't go, but I assume tourists aren't taken there, just as tourists in groups wouldn't routinely be shepherded into the heart of south Chicago. I'm interested in whatever you see. I wonder how the majority of the people there feel presently about remaining a part of the UK versus joining the Republic of Ireland, particularly after the UK's departure from the European Union.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of Brits are getting citizenship in EU countries. Ireland has seen a huge surge in applications since this whole Brexit thing came about.

      We got confirmation of our reservation a little while ago. When Bill gets home tonight, we'll make the deposit and I'll go shopping for travel insurance. :D We have been wanting to do some other types of cruises, but given the pound's affordability right now and the fact that we know what we're getting on Hebridean Princess, it wasn't too hard to get Bill onboard!

      I just hope no one gets sick this time...

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.