Thursday, August 4, 2016

Company wife...

Bill is being promoted.  Because he's being promoted, his job is changing.  I hope his salary will be changing, too, but that remains to be seen.  Anyway, the big boss is in town and Bill and I have been invited out to dinner tonight.  The guy whose job Bill's taking is going, along with his wife.  Also, the outgoing boss, who is moving to a job in Hawaii, and his wife are supposed to be attending.  And then there's the big stateside boss.  I met all three of these these folks and one of the wives at last year's Christmas party.  They're all nice people.

When Bill mentioned the dinner invitation to me, I said I'd go with him.  But then yesterday, I was in kind of a bad mood for a number of reasons.  Physically, I've been feeling a bit off this summer.  I don't feel sick, per se-- I just feel like my body is starting to change.  I've been cranky, moody, anxious, and achy.  My periods, which used to be really regular, are starting to do weird things.  I've also had some issues sleeping.  I think it's pretty safe to say that I may be in perimenopause.

I don't always do too well at these kinds of gatherings.  I don't enjoy small talk and tend to say things I probably shouldn't say.  I'm too candid and opinionated.  I also talk too much.  So, although I told Bill I'd go, I kind of had a change of heart last night and said I kind of didn't want to go.  In all truthfulness, I don't necessarily want to go.  It'll mean Bill has to drive all the way home to get me, then drive back to the restaurant and I guess I just can't be arsed.

He got upset, but when Bill gets upset, he tries really hard not to be confrontational.  For some reason, that quality especially annoyed me last night.  He doesn't want to hash things out with me.  Instead, he just looks hurt, which pisses me off.  I ended up going to bed and he came in and talked to me, trying hard not to go into psychoanalysis mode, because I had already told him I was in no mood for that.

I feel like I ought to go with him to support him, but yet I don't really want to go.  But he's always there for me when I need something, so I feel obligated, which I kind of resent.  I don't like the thought of being a "company wife".  Bill insisted that this wasn't going to be a work related gathering.  I was sitting there thinking to myself that we wouldn't be going out to dinner if it wasn't work related.  I was kind of hoping mandatory fun went out with military retirement, but I guess not.  

Anyway, I'll go... and maybe it'll be fun.  But I have to admit, I think I'd really rather stay home.  Hopefully, I won't say or do anything too embarrassing.  Bill probably deserves a better wife than I am... one who is dutiful, bakes cakes, dresses to the nines, enjoys socializing, and is polite company.

On a different note... I just watched this very depressing video put out by the New York Times.  It honestly makes me want to cry.  There are some very stupid, ignorant people in America.

ETA:  We ended up being sidelined by heavy rain and a traffic jam.  Bill and I had Chinese food together instead.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided to go simply because I think the Lt. Col really wanted you to go. he doesn't ask a whole lot. (You've acknowledged this; I'd never say it had you not said it first.) I suspect the event will suck even if the food is good, and the food probably will not be good. Still, my hope is that when all is said and done, you'll be glad you took one for the team and showed up. Sometimes just being there is 99% of the job. You know that I'm a 21-year-old who has never had a significant romantic relationship in her entire life and that I know absolutely nothing about these sorts of things. I'm sort of basing everything I say here on what Roseanne Conner (Roseanne Barr's sitcom character) would do. When I'm at an impasse, I think, "What would Roseanne Conner do?" and then act accordingly. It's gotten me incredibly far in life [sarcasm font], as anyone can see. I hope you survive it if you go.

    My only hope is that the Trump supporters will be too stupid to properly register and/or to read and fill in their ballots with the results they intended their ballots to convey. Hillary is far from my view of an ideal candidate but she's the lesser of the evils by far. Her followers must surely have a mean full-scale IQ score at least twice that of Trump's followers. It disheartening to me that Trump's people can even find the locations of his rallies and get themselves there, which means they may be able to locate polling places as well. This is very daunting to me.

    I've perfectly understood why, in the past, people have chosen to cast their votes for outliers on the ballot whose principles were such that the voters could actually cast votes for candidates with high ideals and character and not have to be ashamed of having essentially sold out, but I hope people lose their consciences if only for this election alone, and do what needs to be done to keep Donald Trump from becoming our nation's next president, even if it means voting for a candidate whose hands are most likely a bit dirty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for my vote, it's doubtful it will even count in Texas.

      Delete
  2. As I wrote in the last sentence, we didn't end up going due to horrendous traffic and weather. We ate Chinese food closer to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least he didn't have to go alone, and you had a good reason for not going.

      I wish we could abolish the electoral college. The reasoning for it is now obsolete. What it does now is make many people's votes not count. The conservatives in CA are largely up against the same thing the more liberal-leaning Texans are, though I don't think California is as extremely liberal as Texas is extremely conservative. The only hope for Texas is that some Texans may be so disgruntled about Ted Cruz losing out that they may either not vote or write in the name of a video game hero or villain or the family dog..

      Delete
    2. The electoral college is no longer necessary and should be shitcanned. Bill has said the same thing more than once.

      Delete
  3. This post reminds me of a song from "how to Succeed in Business without Really Trying," which I accompanied when my high school performed it my freshman year. I'll see if I can link the song, but it will probably be a very lame high school or community theatre version of it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3x8UPnO0oo

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.