Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Certain men are starting to annoy me...

I don't know if it's because I'm hormonal and irritable or because I'm just tired of "mansplainers".  For sure, this year's extreme political nonsense doesn't help at all, nor does it help that I have so many opinionated friends with diverse political leanings.  Lately, I've just found myself feeling like I have less patience for people who want to debate with me, especially if they happen to be males.

This morning, I found an old argument I had two years ago with this guy who probably ought to be ousted from my Facebook friends list (ETA: As of today, he is ousted).  I blogged about that incident two years ago, so I won't rehash it now.  Suffice to say that in re-reading our exchange, I found myself getting more and more annoyed by his holier than thou teacher's tone.  Even if I actually agreed with what he was saying, his tone really put me off.  But as annoying as he is, there are several others who are just as annoying.  And yet, I continue to put up with them.


This song puts things in perspective, but yes, I feel as if I've had quite enough.

Yesterday, I found myself watching a very macabre documentary about the death penalty.  It was specifically about the last day on death row and the procedures that are followed to put a condemned person to death.  Even though the vast majority of people on death row are guilty of horrible crimes, I still find the whole execution process disturbing and, frankly, sickening.  I totally get that many people think the death penalty is justified when someone commits an egregiously violent murder, but I still have ethical problems with it.  I am pretty glad to live in a place where the death penalty is no more.

Anyway, I posted that I find the death penalty sickening.  I knew this would draw a response, so I probably shouldn't have said anything on social media.  Sure enough, within minutes, a friend of mine-- good guy who happens to be a military police officer-- piped up and said he had no problems with capital punishment as long as "it's done right".  In other words, as long as the drugs act the way they're supposed to or the inmate's head doesn't catch on fire during a botched electrocution.  But, apparently, if the process goes awry, he does have a problem with the death penalty.

I'm sure that most correctional officers and prison wardens don't set out to fuck up an execution.  It still does happen, though.  And while I totally get that people want vengeance when someone horrible does something horrible, I still find the whole process vile and barbaric.  That's just my opinion.  I doubt the death penalty will go away in my lifetime and I will say that even though I find it sickening, there are times when I think it's appropriate.  Killers who are definitely guilty, have no remorse, are extremely dangerous, and likely to kill again probably should be executed for the public's safety.  But a lot of people on death row don't really fit that description.  Moreover, the death penalty is extremely expensive due to the court costs, extra security, and attorney's fees required.  While many people think capital punishment saves taxpayers money, the reality is, it's a whole lot cheaper to keep people in prison.

My cop friend hadn't considered that.  When I mentioned it, he basically said that the appeals process should be curtailed.  But the problem is, someone innocent is bound to be executed.  It's happened more than one time.  There have been recent cases of innocent people being exonerated after spending years on death row.  How does one apologize for that kind of a mistake?  For those who say that it's worth the risk, I'd say that's all well and good... until it's you or one of your loved ones who ends up in that situation.  Then your mind will probably change quickly.

My cop friend made some comment about how technology had advanced to the point at which police officers are more likely to find the guilty parties.  And yes, it's true that science has evolved so that it's easier to figure out whodunit.  But I'm sure that back in the 70s, people were saying the same thing about the evolution of science.  Back then, I'm sure that police officers had faith in the tools they had for criminal investigations.  As time passed and better methods were discovered, they realized how primitive what they had was.  Then they discovered that some of the people they thought were guilty of violent crimes weren't guilty.

I could explain all of this, but usually when that happens, it turns into a debate.  I don't necessarily enjoy debating, especially with most men, because it becomes nasty and unpleasant.  And then my old "friend" ...tom... shows up and throws in his two cents.  Sure enough, that's what he did yesterday.  Even though he wasn't involved in the discussion, he jumped in with this gem of a comment, paraphrasing a comment that I made.

" Besides, I just find the whole methodical process gruesome. It sickens me to think about it. "

It sickens me to hear of the "gruesome" ways innocent people are murdered. It sickens me to think about it.
...tom...


I swear, lately when ...tom... shows up, I figuratively imagine myself kicking him in the testicles as hard as I can.  I really don't know why I tolerate his presence on my page, because he rarely has anything to say that isn't annoying or inflammatory.  But still, I left him a response, which I noticed he didn't answer.

Two wrongs don't make a right, ...tom... In any case, if you like the death penalty, have at it.

In other words... why don't you volunteer?  It would make my life easier.  You think that's too harsh?  

I'm just getting sick of overbearing males.  I'm even getting a little sick of Bill, even though I love him dearly.  I honestly think it's my hormones, though.  I'm starting to feel a bit like Annie Camden right before she went through "the change".

  

Yeah.  

      

Incidentally, Bill is in the middle of growing a beard.  I will have to post a picture once he has one.  Now, he just looks scraggly.

2 comments:

  1. I just can't do without the random Annie Camden posting. To think I onee would have voluntarily left my own home and parents to live with Annie and her fictional wack job perv husband is a bit scary. Sometimes it's a good think that we don't get exactly what we wish for in all of our pre-adolescent splendor of stupidity.

    Regarding the death penalty, I agree with you. Let's take the infamous Scott Peterson, for example. While in some ways it did my heart good to hear the judge pronounce the condemnation after Peterson was found guilty of killing Laci and the baby-- essentially saying that there was insufficient evidence to spare his life and that he was not fit to occupy space on the planet. Those words worked for me.

    Actually carrying the sentence out, however, is another matter entirely in my opinion. I can say that I believe with all my heart that he did it. On the other hand, my belief in something "with all my heart" or with anything else, or, for that matter, even the same as felt or believed by a juror who sat through the presentation of every but of evidence and testimony, is probably not sufficient to allow the system to put a person to death when the evidence was entirely circumstantial. Ten years from now, some new evidence conceivably could, as unlikely as it would be, totally exonerate the guy. We can all agree that he's guilty of being a piece of shit, and it's highly likely that he did the deed, but I really hope the sentence is never carried out, It shouldn't even be an option when the evidence is so overwhelmingly circumstantial. Enough circumstantial evidence should be sufficient for conviction, but condemnation to death is another matter entirely.

    And I'm growing increasingly uncomfortable with the practice, regardless. What do we do when we find out that we were wrong about someone's guilt. It's bad enough that the system has wrongly imprisoned a person for any length of time, but to have taken his or her life? It's really unthinkable.

    It just seems that we as a society should no longer be so backward in our thinking that we cannot deal with even the most heinous of crimes with this method. And all of that final day stuff! The last minute calls granting stays of execution, only to be overturned eighteen hours later. That really embodies cruel and unusual punishment even if the penalty in and of itself did not, which it does.

    We're no longer living in the days of John Dillinger, where perpetrators of heinous crimes escape prison routinely. Obviously prisoners do escape from time to time, but those about whose lock-up status most of us care most deeply seem to remain in place. We haven't heard a whole lot about Manson, Sirhan, Richard Ramirez, Cary Stayner, Jeffrey dahmer, Ted Bundy even making serious attempts at escape, much less getting out. We CAN keep them locked up.

    No one wants to hear statistics about crime rates in death penalty locations versus in non-death penalty locations, but they exist and are very telling.

    Once again I'm doing one of those things I do very best, which is to preach to the choir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... If it's for public safety, I am less troubled by it. But a lot if times, I think the death penalty is simple revenge.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.