Friday, July 29, 2016

Politics give me a pain in the head...

For the last few days, I've been struggling with a problem that I've dealt with on and off over the years.  I get tension headaches from exercise or sex or anything that makes the blood pressure shoot up.  This issue isn't something that goes on every day.  I have a few attacks within a week or so, then it goes away for a couple of months.  Dr. Google says that exercise induced headaches aren't all that uncommon.  They are pretty painful, though.  I have noticed that I get similar physical responses from reading about politics.

I think the Internet has, in many ways, brought people closer together.  It's also made people less civil, especially when it comes to politics and religion.  Many people tend to be braver behind a screen than they are face to face with someone.  So if you dare to write or say something about politics or religion, you can expect to be taken to task by someone.  It happens to me all the time, though I try not to post too much mean spirited vitriol.

Because politics discussions give me a pain in the head, I decided to look for things to distract me yesterday.  I watched all the Little Britain episodes over the past couple of days.  They made me laugh, which didn't lead to a headache.

Bill and I are going to France tomorrow, just for an overnight jaunt.  We're taking the dogs with us.  We planned this trip on the spur of the moment, because I need to get out of here for a day or two.  Just want a change of scenery and maybe a chance to buy some good French products.  We live close to France and Switzerland, yet we never go there.  I want to change that.

When we planned our journey to eastern France, we didn't know that our landlords had arranged for part of the fence around our yard to be replaced.  We won't be here while that's being done.  I'm hoping it's not a sign that they want to sell the property, though they did tell us when we moved in two years ago that they were planning to replace the fence.  They also replaced the windows around the time we moved in.  But, you know me.  I tend to borrow trouble sometimes.  A lot of the things that worry me never actually come to pass.

What they really need to do is replace the toilet in the upstairs bathroom.  It's an annoying old fashioned model that, if you don't stand there and hold the lever down for thirty seconds or so, will not send enough water down to push debris into the sewer system.  Eventually, it clogs the pipes and backs up into the washing machine.  We solved that problem by changing toilet paper and flushing the toilet more thoroughly, but it's still a pain in the ass.

Aside from politics giving me a headache, there's also some change afoot for Bill's job.  He's being promoted to assistant manager.  He will get a raise and a lot more responsibility.  I don't know how much of a raise he's getting.  Bill, being the sweet, humble guy he is, says he doesn't need a lot more money.  All I hope for is that we still get to travel and we don't have to move again anytime soon.

Despite my tendency to borrow trouble, I have to admit that Bill and I have come a really long way.  There was a time when we really struggled with money.  I remember about ten years ago, telling Bill that the money problems were temporary and that eventually, we'd have a really good lifestyle.  I was right.  But, you know, as Don Henley sings "In a New York Minute, everything can change."

I need to relax.  At least my tooth is fixed and paid for, right?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.