Saturday, June 4, 2016

Pesky online salespeople exploiting their "warm markets"...

A few days ago, someone posted this on Facebook.


I was amused by this...

Until a few days ago, I had never heard of Rodan + Fields.  What I had heard of was Proactiv, another well-known and well-regarded product made by the company.  My sister gave me Proactiv for Christmas one year.  I don't think I bothered to use it and was a little annoyed that she'd give me something like that as a gift.  That's like giving your girlfriend workout videos as a gift...  Come to think of it, this particular sister gave me a workout video, too, back when I was a teenager.  Thanks for the subtle hint that I needed to become more fuckable, sis.  

Anyway, the people who brought us Proactiv are Rodan + Fields, and now there are apparently many women with entrepreneurial spirits selling their products.  When I saw the above Facebook post, I was amused by the pissy tone of it, but then I was curious.

I read up on Rodan + Fields and it's a multi-level marketing company, probably akin to Mary Kay or Avon.  As my friend Weird Wilbur would say, that's very fine.  But remember, I have only known about this company for a couple of days and I have already run into three, count 'em, three perky ladies selling the stuff.

The second lady I ran into sent me a lengthy private message when she saw me comment on the above post.  She wanted to make sure I knew Rodan + Fields wasn't a scam.  The tone of her post was upbeat and professional and I got the distinct impression she was hoping I might buy some of her products or sign on to help her sell the stuff.  She went into great detail telling me about her company and all the awesome money and stuff one can win by signing up with it.  It reminded me a little of dealing with Mormons, who *usually* act very fake friendly as they encourage people to get involved in their church.  Then, once you're onboard, they have a tendency to dump you like a hot potato as they assign you church cleanup duties.  It's like a friendship bait and switch.

I put the skincare company out of my mind until this morning, when I was confronted yet again by someone shilling skin cream.  This time, it was a complete stranger commenting on a Facebook post by The Today Show.  They picked up someone's blog post about mommy shaming, but the title of the post made it look like the post was about sunscreen.  I had already read the post in question before The Today Show got ahold of it.

A few days ago, a friend posted a blog post written by a tired mom who's sick of the information overload parents have to put up with nowadays.  The mom titled her post Excuse Me While I Lather My Child in This Toxic Death Cream.  Her post was inspired by reading about the worst types of sunscreens to use on children and adults.  She happened to have used some of the worst sunscreen on her child and immediately felt like a shitty mother.  Her post was NOT about sunscreen.  That was just the catalyst that inspired her to write about mommy shaming.

Of course, we can't expect that average American to read more than a title, can we?  Many people saw The Today Show's post and immediately assumed the article was about a mother who literally thinks sunscreen is a toxic death cream.  They posted outraged comments about how irresponsible that attitude is, given how many people are being diagnosed with skin cancer.  They didn't bother to read the post, but decided to add their two cents anyway.  They looked like idiots in the process.  One of the idiots who commented was yet another Rodan + Fields consultant.


The first comment comes from someone who didn't read the article.  The second comes from an overly chirpy Rodan + Fields consultant who sees the discussion as an opportunity to make bank.  This person spammed The Today Show's post more than once with her spammy ads for her business.


And like any good disciple, she continued to defend her product, even though that was off topic.

I guess this technique must be working, since there are apparently a lot of Rodan + Fields consultants out there shilling the stuff.  Honestly, if it works for them, more power to them.  I am all for people making a living.  But let me go on record saying that I find these kinds of posts extremely annoying, especially when they are on an unrelated subject.  I know not everyone minds them, but I think they're really tacky.   I am not impressed by blatant and overly pushy sales pitches. 

I also hate it when people use friends and family to sell their crap, even though I know that's one of the techniques these types of businesses heavily promote.  It's known as the "warm market".  You hit up your friends and family.  I guess that's not entirely unreasonable if you're selling something people actually need.  But I sure do hate it when someone wants to be friends so they can sell me products.  

One of the biggest turn offs for me is when I become friends with someone and 90% of our "friendship" consists of them trying to sell me stuff.  It's rude and smacks of fakery.  I am not a fan of fakery.  The world has enough fakes.  Give me real friends who know how to read and can discuss things coherently and respectfully.  Maybe, if they're also selling stuff, that might make me want to support their business.  I like to support my genuine friends.  Otherwise, can the annoying fake friendly bullshit and leave me alone.

SaveSaveSaveSave

2 comments:

  1. I'd rather clean sewers with my bare hands for a living than work in any sort of MLM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. But some people apparently love it.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.