Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Scholar talks about being excommunicated from the LDS church...

This is an old clip, but it's worth watching...


Margaret Toscano's Excommunication From The... von samueltheutahnite

Margaret Toscano speaks about what it was like for her when she was excommunicated from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  

If you read this blog, you may know how I feel about Mormonism.  I don't like the LDS church.  I have a lot of good reasons for feeling the way I do.  I have spelled them out repeatedly in many posts on this blog.  I have never been a Mormon myself, though, so I have never personally experienced what it's like to be a church member.  I also don't know what it's like to be "exed".

One thing I don't like about Mormonism is the way church officials seek to silence intellectuals who seek to spread the truth.  Margaret Toscano is a sixth generation Mormon.  She is also an intellectual and a feminist.  When she started to speak out about the patriarchal nature of the Latter-day Saints, she was called into a "court of love".  

In the above clip, you can hear her speak about what it was like to be "tried" for her "crimes".  Basically, it was her against sixteen men in a courtroom like environment.  She tried to back up her statements with doctrine, only to be told that she would not be permitted to "lecture" the elders.  So basically, it sounds like Toscano was forced to sit there quietly while church officials decided her fate.  And she was kicked out of the church, which caused a huge rift in her family.

I thought it was interesting that Toscano talked about how "nice" the men were as they were separating her from the church.  After they excommunicated her, they all wanted to shake her hand.  What they had just done effectively barred Toscano from the upper leagues of Heaven and separated her from her family.  But the men all wanted to tell her how impressed they were by her as they also told her that she was an apostate.  Apostates are not well thought of in Mormon culture.  

When Toscano's younger sister died of cancer, she felt that intense family disapproval acutely when her brother-in-law refused to let her and another sister tend to their deceased sister by dressing her in temple clothes.  That rejection was devastating and something Toscano said she'd never gotten over and probably never would.


Toscano explains her early years and how the church made her feel...  

If you watch the above video, you will hear Toscano talk about how the church expects members to be "perfect".  She explains how many members focus on following the rules and not falling into "disapproved" activities.  As I listen to her, I hear how very intellectual she is.  I think truly intelligent people must experience extreme cognitive dissonance within the church.   How frustrating it must be, especially for intellectual women, to have that cognitive dissonance and be unable to express themselves without being told to "shut up and color".   

I don't respect any institution that suppresses the truth.  Despite their many and repeated claims that the LDS church is the "one true church", from what I've seen, it's really just a power hungry organization whose members are discouraged from seeking truth.  I don't see how intelligent people can stay in that organization and be happy.  But that's just me, of course...





2 comments:

  1. The whole thing is mind-boggling. When the lady is talking about not being able to dress her deceased sister, I feel her pain, but I don't think I would choose to dress any corpse, however close to me (since I've spent time among cadavers, I'd say ESPECIALLY one close to me, but still I feel her pain at the deliberate exclusion.

    I always get caught up in extraneous details of videos such s this. I've never seen a room in a Mormon building that looked anything like this room -- that looked anything like those windows, especially, and floors of the room, except perhaps the floors of the basketball courts, though they are usually a very golden wood. perhaps this was more like an old Mormon chapel. It did seem fitting that they would give the woman a hard-bottomed chair, while the rest of them would sit on lightly upholstered chairs.

    my uncle toldme that when a member in jeopardy faces a hearing, the second counselor of whatever body (bishopric or high coucil) that is hearing the case acts as her advocate. it would seem that if such was ever the case,it no longer is. (For the record, supposedly the bishopric tries the case if it is an unendowed member or one who does not hold the Melchizedek priesthood.If the member is endowed or holds the higher priesthood,the case goes to the stake high council.)

    It's sad any way you look at it, although the LDS church is a farce, and anyone kicked out is being granted a favor even if it doesn't seem like it at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. As I like to say, it's not a punishment to be shunned by assholes.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.