Sunday, May 15, 2016

"Kiddo" makes me cringe...

Here's a random thought.  I hate the word "kiddo".  It gives me the creeps.

The other day, when I posted about the woman who took a photo of her husband comforting their son in the shower, I noticed these two quotes...

"it is okay to get naked with your son and nurture him ... the important thing is really taking care of your kiddos."

"[Thomas] has a really strong bond with all of his kiddos."


I have to admit, I kind of cringed.  I hate that word like some people hate the word "moist".  

I think my hatred of the word "kiddo" stems from my childhood, when I used to watch Guiding Light every day.  Back in the early 80s, there was a character named Bradley Raines played by the late James Rebhorn.  Bradley was a bad dude who was portrayed brilliantly as an abuser.  Bradley was married to Lillian Raines, a pretty blonde nurse who had a teenaged daughter named Beth.  Because he was a scumbag, Bradley abused Beth and eventually raped her.  And he always called her "kiddo".



Rick tells his dad about how strict Bradley Raines is...


Bradley rapes Beth...

Every time I hear someone call their kids "kiddos", I think of Bradley Raines and how creepy he was.  It's silly, isn't it?  The strangest things can cause an association in our minds.  Or maybe I'm just a weirdo.  Here's an odd thought.  I don't mind the word "weirdo", but I hate the word "kiddo".  Try to figure that one out.  James Rebhorn was a great actor, though.  He was very believable as a creepy stepdad.  And now I've been watching Army Wives on iTunes and I notice they use "kiddo" a lot on that show, too.  Yecch.

Our little party went well last night.  It was fun seeing our friends.  After we hung out for awhile, we went out to dinner with our buddies.  We'll have to do that more often.  That way, I won't have to think about the word "kiddo".    



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.