Wednesday, May 4, 2016

I've been satirized... and Mormonism is dying in Armenia!

Which means I guess I've arrived.

Yesterday, there was a bunch of Facebook drama going on that involved several local folks.  Things got very heated and the mood in one of our groups got decidedly sour.  Since that's where most of us go for comic relief, it was kind of shitty that the mood was so rotten.  One enterprising fellow decided to diffuse things by satirizing my travel blog.

I have to admit, my first reaction to the parody was annoyance, mainly because I was in a shitty mood.  However, after reading it again, I realize that it's pretty funny and creative.  As my fellow blogging friend pointed out, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

On the other hand, I'm thinking maybe it might be time to change up my writing style.  Or perhaps make my blogs private...  :-)  Or maybe just quit writing altogether... That won't happen since writing keeps me from going crazy.

I have often been the butt of other peoples' jokes, so I guess I can roll with the punches on this one.  Kudos to my Facebook pal for being so enterprising and giving everybody a laugh at my expense.  Especially since nobody takes me seriously, anyway.

Now for the next bit of news.  I was just reading RfM and someone posted about many Armenian Mormons going apostate.  Since I have a special place in my heart for Armenia and sincere loathing for Mormonism, this information warms the cockles of my tiny little heart.

I lived in Armenia back in the mid 1990s and worked as a Peace Corps Volunteer.  As I was leaving the country in 1997, Herbalife was starting to make a big splash.  During the last months of my time living in Armenia, I was repeatedly stopped by people showing me before and after photos, trying to sell me weight loss products.  Recently, I did a cursory check to see if Herbalife still operates in Armenia.  I see that it does and is apparently going pretty strong.

But at least now I know that Armenians are smart enough not to fall for the Mormonism scam.  For a more personal accounting of what's happening to Mormonism in Armenia, you can click either of these two links to blogs written by current missionaries.

To any Mormons who happen to read this post, let me just say that it's not that I have a hatred for Mormons.  I truly don't.  Some of my favorite people are exMormons, mainly because a lot of them retain all of the wonderful characteristics of LDS people without the religion piece.  I have also known a lot of good people who happen to be active believers.  What I don't like is Mormonism itself, which I have found to be a very divisive belief system that destroys families as well as local cultures. I have also seen how some believers are fooled into thinking they are "special" and more evolved for believing in Joseph Smith's myth.  My husband's younger daughter definitely falls into that category and she doesn't realize how dangerous and offensive that kind of thinking is.

I witnessed Mormonism playing a large part in ruining my husband's relationship with his daughters.   I have seen his bright daughters turn into radicalized religious zealots who have no regard for people who aren't like them.  For that reason, I strongly dislike Mormonism and heartily cheer when I see people leaving the faith.  In fairness, had I had a similar experience with Catholicism or Protestantism, I probably would feel the same way about those beliefs.  Mormonism just happens to be the dogma that has affected me personally.

Anyway, having spent over two years in Armenia and gotten to know the people and culture there, I can't say that Mormonism does anything good for the locals except maybe getting some of them to stop smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol.  But they could do that without converting to a religion that causes unnecessary personal angst, costs a lot of money, and usually divides families.

Life in Armenia is tough enough without added Mormon bullshit.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  So count me among those who say shnorhavor to Armenians who have said "Hajo!" to the LDS church.


Everybody dance!







2 comments:

  1. It's tough for me to understand how Mormonism ever gets the slightest toehold in some places in the first place.

    That's funny about your travel blog being satirized. I'd take it as a compliment, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do actually know the guy who did it. He likes to make fun of me. I tried to be a good sport, though it did annoy me at first... mainly because this guy has picked on me incessantly ever since we first ran into each other online.

      I can't imagine most Armenians buying into Mormonism unless there's something tangible in it for them.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.