Sunday, April 10, 2016

We need more TV shows like CHiPs...

For some reason, I woke up this morning thinking about Frank Poncherello, a fictional character played by Erik Estrada back in the 70s and 80s.  "Ponch" as he was known as on CHiPs was a hotheaded but lovable member of the California Highway Patrol.  He wore super tight uniforms that showed off his package and spoke through clenched teeth at criminals.  He never drew his gun, but won over everybody by singing and dancing.


Exhibit A.  This was the clip I was remembering.  Urban Cowboy maybe?

Every time I watch this ridiculous square dancing scene, I smile.  It's so cheesy and yet I know tons of work went into it.  Look at how high energy it is and how synchronized everyone is.  Someone thought this was cool and brought it into existence.  I look at it now and it just looks bizarre and ridiculous.  And yet, I can't help but laugh when I watch it.

CHiPs was a big hit show back in the days of disco.  Erik Estrada fancied himself a singer and dancer.  These supposed talents were made use of on CHiPs.  Behold...


Ponch boogies...  This was probably inspired by Saturday Night Fever, which was pretty popular at the time.

I would rather watch Ponch square dance than disco dance.  Either way, he's mastered the pelvic thrust.  The women folk enjoyed that very much back in the day.


Yuck.  I don't think Ponch is a singer.  And this song in particular doesn't seem very appropriate.

You never see shows like this anymore.  They're too corny and cost too much.  Nowadays, everyone has to be quirky and interesting.  We can't just enjoy a good car crash or dance scene.  I will confess that I was more of a Larry Wilcox fan.  I like my men stable, sensible, and caring.  That's how I ended up with Bill, who is definitely more like Officer Jon Baker than Officer Frank Poncherello.  The powers that be that created that show obviously knew some women like the strong, silent types.  

This is kind of a silly post.  Sometimes I prefer to be silly rather than serious.  I've been working on reading a book and pretty soon, I will be ready to review it.  It's definitely not a book about silly shit like square dancing.  For now, though, I will focus on the ridiculous.  And Ponch square dancing to a highly choreographed routine is definitely ridiculous.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.