Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Facebook stalking...

I have literally spent all morning stalking people I used to know by looking them up on Facebook.  I'm not sure why I'm taking the time to do this.  It's probably because I'm a nosey person with too much time on my hands.  Maybe it's because I've always loved a good story and like to see how stories end.  It could also be because I have nothing better to do.  Aw hell, who am I kidding?  All three reasons are true.

Last night, while high on a local Riesling, I looked up a woman I haven't seen or thought about since 1989, when we both worked in the German section of Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Virginia.  I remembered the lady well because she was of Indian descent.  She was very intelligent, petite, and exotic looking and I remembered that she was headed to the University of Virginia in the fall.  I was a year younger than she was and a little jealous that she would be going off to college.  I remember her parents were very strict and would only let her work during the daytime.  Consequently, she always worked the 10-5 shift as a cashier.  Today, she's an ophthalmologist in northern Virginia and has three kids.  She's still very pretty and exotic looking.

Somehow I started thinking about other people I used to work with when I had a fucking job.  Back in March 1998, I started working at The Trellis in Williamsburg, Virginia.  I was hired at the same time two other young women were.  We were about the same age.  The other two picked up waiting tables faster than I did, though I did eventually get the hang of it.  One of the women was a graduate student at William & Mary.  She was one of those people who was very fake nice.  She'd smile at you, but it just didn't seem very genuine.

After awhile, I grew to dislike her because she was very fake and because she was always lecturing people about eating meat.  She struck me as someone very concerned about her image.   One day, she was working on the terrace and got fed up.  Throwing down her apron, she announced that the job sucked as she quit in the middle of a busy lunch shift.  This was the same person who used to be fake nice to me as I struggled with depression and anxiety and fake implore me not to quit waiting tables.  Unlike her, I didn't quit.

From my Facebook stalking this morning, I figured out that she hasn't changed much.  Indeed, I see that she's now a yoga teacher in North Carolina who does photography on the side.  She still has that fake smile.  Blecch.

I found the other lady who was hired with me, too.  I liked her very much.  In fact, most everyone at The Trellis liked her.  She was hard working and genuinely nice and treated everyone with decency.  She got promoted and I lost touch with her once I went off to graduate school.  I have often wondered how she was doing.

Well, after a little Facebook stalking, I found her somewhat easily.  I am not quite sure where she's living, but she has a shitload of adorable kids now and seems to be embracing motherhood quite happily.  In fact, she looks pretty much the same as she did when we knew each other.  I'm glad to see her doing so well.

Then I remembered a guy I worked with at The Trellis and couldn't stand.  The last time I ran into him, he was running a wine store in downtown Fredericksburg.  Bill and I lived in Fredericksburg at the time and we happened to walk into the guy's store.  I see he's now still in northern Virginia.  He's a beverage manager at a big restaurant.  I think that's an appropriate job for him.  He does really know his wine well.  I couldn't stand working with him, though, because all he cared about was selling wine.  He was also not a very honest person.  I remember he had a daughter that he did, at least, see somewhat often.  

I finally quit Facebook stalking when I realized that these were people I knew a long time ago and would probably never see again.  It's interesting where they've all ended up, though.  And, it also goes to show me that I'm pretty good at snooping.  I remember random details about people and that makes it easy to stalk them.  ;-)  For instance, I found the two women I worked with at The Trellis because I remembered where they went to college.  They both have different last names now, but because I remembered where and when they went to school, I found them with minimal effort.  Same with the ophthalmologist I once worked with at Busch Gardens.  It doesn't seem like it was that long ago that we were so young, but I guess it was.

I have to wonder if people stalk me, too...  Probably.  The world is full of bored people who have nothing better to do than look in on other peoples' lives.  ;-)  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.