Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Avenue Q is like the story of my life set to hilarious songs...

Bill and I finally went to see Avenue Q last week in Stoke on Trent.  I knew I would like it because it's done with puppets and I grew up during the Jim Henson heyday.  The storyline really struck close to home, though.  It's all about a bunch of young folks trying to find their purpose in life.  They live on Avenue Q because it's the only place they can afford.  They have college degrees they can't use and still have to pay for.

The lead male, Princeton, has a B.A. in English.  So do I.  Christmas Eve, the Japanese lady who is married to an aspiring comic has two master's degrees, one of which is in social work.  So do I.  And I'm even kind of an aspiring artist, like Christmas Eve's fat, unemployed husband.  I know that show doesn't speak to everyone, but it really spoke to me on many levels.


We had great seats... front row!

After the show was over, Bill and I talked about it and I said I thought The Book of Mormon Musical was more his show.  Avenue Q was more mine.  


This is not the show we saw...

I'm really glad I had the chance to see Avenue Q.  In fact, I think we need to go to the theater more often.  It's not so easy to do it in Germany, since shows around here are usually done in German.  On the other hand, my language skills could use a boost.  I've fallen off the Duolingo wagon lately and have no real desire to climb back on.

Meh.  Sorry, this post is kind of about nothing.  I'm probably a little blogged out right now.  I finally finished writing about our Scotland trip and probably need to go read a book or something.  Still, I highly recommend Avenue Q, especially if you were born in the 70s or 80s.  I really think people from that era will enjoy this show the most... though it's funny regardless!  


2 comments:

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.