Tuesday, February 9, 2016

I really want to write something substantial today...

but unfortunately, I'm still pretty sick.  I don't feel quite as badly as I did yesterday morning.  My nose quit running, but now I have congestion, sinus pain, a headache, a backache, and a productive cough.  My throat is sore and I'm fatigued.  I am considering purchasing hand sanitizer for Bill for the next trip he takes to Africa.  For all I know, he got the virus on the plane, though he said he felt bad when he was in Burkina Faso.  He thought it was because of the piss poor air quality.

I have been using this sick time to do some reading.  The other day, after writing my post about sociopaths, I was inspired to start reading another book.  Instead of a book about how bad sociopaths are, this book-- written by a self-described sociopath writing under a pseudonym-- highlights how sociopaths can be "good".

You may have heard of the book, Confessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding in Plain Sight, written by M.E. Thomas.  Interesting that the author, a female, chose the initials "M.E.", given that she's supposedly a sociopath.  Anyway, when this book first came out in 2013, I wasn't inclined to read it.  It got pretty mixed reviews and I wasn't really inclined to fatten the wallet of someone who thinks of herself as a sociopath.  Before she published her book, Thomas was already a blogger and writes that writing the blog is like having a daily serving of porridge.  I guess I can relate to that.

M.E. Thomas thinks she's smarter than everyone else.  She's a devout Mormon, a lawyer who teaches law, and a musician.  She explains how not every sociopath is a criminal.  In fact, she claims that you'll like her.  Her students love her.  They think she's a "stone cold fox" and a creative, caring teacher.  And yet, she explains that she's a very lazy person who doesn't really care about anyone but herself.

I haven't quite finished the book yet, so I will refrain from revealing too much or reviewing the book.  Maybe today, I'll manage to finish.  I don't feel like doing much else.

What I will say is that the book definitely offers a different perspective of sociopaths, though I don't find Thomas all that smart or likable.  Incidentally, she was sort of outed as a professor at Brigham Young University's law school.  It appears that M.E. Thomas is really Jamie Lund and, after an ill advised appearance on Dr. Phil, she was fired.   

Anyway, I hope to be ready to review tomorrow... if my head clears enough to manage it.  Right now, I'm feeling uncomfortable and tired; it's cold and raining and I think I just want to go back to bed.






2 comments:

  1. I own the book. I hated myself briefly for giving the author money. I'm not an expert on telling the difference, but she does seem more narcissistic than sociopathic to me.

    I think she has a point about the LDS faith being a lot more about what a person does than why he or she does it. (I think that's a bit true of society in general, but I'd like to think God cares what i in a person's heart.) I also suspect that there are more than a few individuals in the upper echelons of LDS leadership who have NPD at the very least if they're not outright sociopaths.

    Does your friend John Sheehan, whom I've known as bignevermo, now post under NevermoJohn at RFM?

    I'm sorry you're feeling so horrible and hope you soon feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if John changed his RfM nickname. I suppose I could ask him.

      I just finished the book and will now review it.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.