Monday, February 15, 2016

Everyone's a critic...



An image I shamelessly ripped off.  If it's yours and you want me to take it down, just let me know.

This morning, I woke up to a nasty comment on a local Facebook page about my most recent travel blog post.  The guy who posted it is someone who has previously had negative things to say about my blogging.  Below is what he posted most recently and my response.

 Just another shameless advertisement for a boring blog.... Really.... When is it enough with this blog ad every day????
LikeReply17 hrs

I'm sorry. You must have spent Valentine's Day alone. I hope you had enough lotion.  smile emoticon
LikeReply21 hr

For some reason, this guy likes to pick on me occasionally.  Last year, he wrote a nasty comment to me in a different group.  He took exception to the name of my blog and wrote this.

Nothing funnier than a venter who is hell bent on proving that their IQ is bigger than their Fat A$$

Why this guy hasn't simply pushed his block button is beyond me.  He's obviously annoyed by the fact that I live, breathe, and blog.  It upsets him that I dare to share a small number of my posts with people who might be interested.  Believe it or not, I've gotten a lot of positive feedback about my travel blog from the local community.  I mostly only share the restaurant reviews, but I have a few folks who came to my blog to read a review and now read regularly.  I certainly don't post on it or about it every day, as this fellow claims I do.  But everyone's a critic, right?

I will admit that my initial reaction to the above insult was anger.  Nobody likes to be insulted, especially just after they've opened their eyes for the first time that day.  Then, I became amused.  What hecklers don't realize is that when they leave me rude comments on a place like Facebook, I invariably end up with more traffic and that leads to more readers.  

Also, when I get a shitty comment from someone, it's a prime opportunity for me to go all Taylor Swift and create a blog post with them as the subject matter.  Folks, seriously, if you think my blog sucks, the best thing you can do is ignore it.  Use your block button and, for heaven's sake, don't click.  When you click, I get ad revenue.  When you leave a crappy comment on Facebook, people get curious about my blog and I get even more ad revenue.  So thanks for that, Mr. Pissy Pants!

Last year, a woman complained about my blog and said no one cared about it.  I told her she was wrong and watched as the hits climbed until the post in question became one of my most popular.  It was pretty hilarious, not just for me, but for others who watched the spectacle unfold online.

Still, it's truly not my aim to annoy people.  I mean, I know I do sometimes.  People tell me in the comments left on my blogs.  I have to admit that sometimes, I just can't help it.  Hell, my own parents have often told me that I was a "mistake", an "accident," and "obnoxious as hell".  If they didn't like me, it stands to reason that people out there in Internetland won't, either.  

I wonder what I can do to make this person happy...  Should I stop blogging?  Should I stop sharing my posts with others?  Should I go off myself?  Sit in a corner and eat worms?  What can I do to make my critic's day a little better?  And better yet, why should I care about that when I have overgrown toenails I could be clipping. 

I honestly don't understand people who criticize bored housewives who blog.  So many people in military circles criticize fatass wives who sit around shopping for Coach bags all day and whining about their entitlements.  They call them "dependas".  I try not to be a dependa.  Blogging gives me something to do.  Maybe not all of my blogs are constructive.  Maybe they're not interesting to other people.  But I could certainly be doing worse things with my time.

For instance, here in the Stuttgart community, I became aware of a certain phenomenon involving Tide laundry detergent.  According to military spouse lore, if a wife puts a container of Tide detergent in her window while her husband is gone, it means she's available for sex.


I had not heard of this before I moved back here, even though I was an Army wife for about twelve years.  However, I have seen with my own eyes women cheating on their husbands while they are deployed or on temporary duty yonder.  So I guess there *could* be some truth to the rumor.  Even if there is, I don't live in a neighborhood where anyone would get the connection.  Aside from that, I don't find casual sex very exciting.  For me, the prospect of doing that is more scary than anything else.

I'm sure there are other things I could think of doing...  things that don't involve writing a blog.  But, the fact is, I enjoy blogging.  It's fun.  It's my way of making a mark on the world.  Not everyone likes it.  Not everyone thinks my writing is a productive use of my time.  Some people like to sip on their Haterade and eat Hater Tots.  I get it.  

Sorry, y'all...

4 comments:

  1. I shall immediately share with my LDS aunts (except for the one with whom I have no contact, the bit about Tide detergent, mainly as a public service announcement. I don't know that they were in the habit of displaying Tide in their windows or anywhere else, but they should know what they would be signifying were they to do such.

    The guy at your blog sounds like a douche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would only work if they happen to live in a military area.

    As for the guy who inspired this post, it's been interesting to see the reactions. Quite a few people liked my response. Then Bill joined Facebook and left me a comment. Next thing I knew, the asshole's comments disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think he blocked me. Just as well. Wish he'd done that in the first place instead of insulting me publicly. I don't think it worked out so well for him.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.