Monday, February 1, 2016

Don't tell ME how to vote...

This year, we have a passel of nutjobs running for president.  I am dismayed and a little worried about our choices of presidential candidates.  For some reason, it's not a job that attracts the sane.

Despite the fact that I'm concerned about our pickings for this year's presidential race, I'm still capable of choosing for myself which candidate is the most appealing to me.  I know how to read and I have a brain that functions.  I can listen to what the candidate says and I know what issues are important to me.  For that reason, I would appreciate it if other people wouldn't try to tell me how to vote.

I am inspired to write this post because I've seen a lot of "open letters", political memes, and even outright invitations on Facebook trying to sway peoples' opinions.  I think I know where these efforts come from.  People are concerned about the future and they want to make sure whatever candidate they like will win.  Some of them think they know exactly how the elections will go.  They'll say something to the effect of, "If you vote for Bernie, that's a sure way to put a Republican in the White House."

Or...

"A vote for a third party candidate is a 'wasted vote' because that person can't win."

Or...

"Hillary Clinton is a criminal!  She should be arrested for leaking classified information!"

Or...

"Democrats want to take away all I've worked hard for my whole life..."

We all have these thoughts running in our head.  I admit that I have them, too.  The idea of Ted Cruz or Donald Trump serving as president frankly scares the shit out of me.  I think I would be slightly less worried about Trump, who at least has business sense, even if he is a racist, misogynistic pig.  Cruz just seems like a crazy person.  But, even as I have these opinions, it's not for me to tell other people why they should not support Cruz or Trump or anyone else of their choosing.  They have their reasons, too.

This post was inspired by a piece I've seen passed around on Facebook lately.  The name of the post is called "An Open Letter to My Friends who Support Donald Trump".  It's not even that I support Donald Trump.  Frankly, I think he's an asshole.  I don't even disagree with what the author of the open letter writes.  What I disagree with is telling other people what their vote should be, especially when it's done in a sanctimonious, holier-than-thou manner.  You can state your reasons for not liking a candidate or, conversely, why you think a candidate is a good choice.  But they're your reasons.  You have no right to try to impose your reasons on someone else.

Another piece I've seen making the rounds is called "I Support Bernie Sanders and I'm Not Stupid or Unrealistic".  This piece is less offensive to me because it basically addresses the people who try to impose their opinions on other adults with functioning brains.  At the same time, it's also a persuasion piece.  At its core, it's an attempt to get the naysayers to change their minds about a man many people think is too idealistic to win the election.

It's probably a waste of time for me to even write this post, because people are going to campaign for their political choices regardless.  I just want to go on record to say that it's really annoying when people try to tell other people why their political convictions are wrong.  I rarely post political stuff here or on Facebook.  The reason I don't is because I have a bunch of friends on either side of the political spectrum who are all too happy to engage in political debates.  Political debates have the potential to get unpleasant in a hurry.

Do people really not think their friends have made up their minds?  Do people really think others want to be told how to think?  Seriously... in the past, I've actually lost friends over politics.  I made the mistake of telling a friend why I didn't like Mitt Romney and it turned ugly.  It's probably best to keep your political opinions close to the vest.  Of course, when you have choices like the ones we have this year, maybe it's harder to do that.  It's hard not to opine about people who are as controversial as Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, or Ted Cruz.  On the other hand, my telling you that your candidate sucks probably won't change your opinion, nor will it endear me to you.

Here's one thing I don't get.  I don't understand the constant bitching about Barack Obama.  The man is now a lame duck.  A year from now, he will be out of office.  Why are people still worried about where he was born?  Why are people still complaining about the things he's done or not done?  The man is going to be gone before you know it.  Frankly, I'm scared about his successor.  I really am.  I am even scared about Bernie Sanders, even though I like what I've heard him say.

But anyway... it's a Monday morning in early February and I felt the need to write this post because the next eleven months are going to be full of this shit.  I guess I can be glad I don't live in the States right now where the stupid is on full blast.


3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why anyone attempts to campaign politically on social media. It's utterly futile. Do people really not know this?

    I blogged about my own feelings regarding the primary today, but I certainly wasn't attempting to sway anyone.

    The whole matter of whether to vote practically or idealistically is a very real and legitimate debate, but it is a debate best waged in the mind each person who casts a vote. There are solid reasons for casting a vote either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. The beauty of being able to vote is the fact that it's a choice. Every American has the right to make a choice.

      Delete
  2. Don't tell me who to vote for. I don't care who you vote for, fuck em all.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.