Friday, January 22, 2016

What is a slut?

Yesterday, a friend/family member of mine posted this on Facebook.  I liked it, so I decided to share it.  I had no idea the number of comments it would spawn.


A lot of people liked this...

A few people took issue with the fact that the meme labels Bristol Palin a "slut".  They had no problems with it labeling Sarah Palin an "incompetent quitter" and Track Palin "a drunk woman beater".  However, the fact that Bristol Palin is called a "slut" gives them pause.  Several of them have objected.

For the record, I didn't make this meme.  I just thought it was kind of spot on.  Moreover, I don't routinely call people sluts.  I don't generally care what people do in their bedrooms or elsewhere as long as what they do doesn't affect me.  Perhaps it would have been better, or at least more PC, if the person who made this meme had labeled Bristol an "irresponsible hypocrite".  But they didn't, and now I'm kind of taking the PC heat because I shared the meme.  Sometimes I wonder if I should post a disclaimer with things like this, reminding people that the words posted belong to the creator and don't necessarily reflect my own views.  That seems kind of like overkill, though, especially for Facebook.

So what exactly is a slut?  Dictionary.com defines a slut as a sexually promiscuous woman or a woman who behaves or dresses in an overtly sexual way.  Now, I don't know that I'd say Bristol dresses or behaves in an overtly sexual way.  I don't know her personally.  What I do know is that she has done a lot of public preaching about sexual abstinence, yet she has two kids born out of wedlock.  Since I know how babies are made and Bristol has had two of them by different fathers, I can't help but come to the conclusion that Bristol has sex.  Is it excessive?  I don't know.  I do know that pregnancy is a condition that is easily avoided when one takes appropriate precautions.  

I think it's safe to call Bristol irresponsible, careless, hypocritical, and even loose.  She and her mother have not shied away from the media, which pretty much means that they've chosen to make their private business the public's business.  Recently, I read that Bristol and Dakota Meyer, the putative father of her baby, Sailor, were going to get a paternity test.  If Bristol wasn't screwing around with more than one man, why would they need the test?  Unless, of course, the test is simply to establish beyond a shadow of a doubt that Dakota Meyer has rights and responsibilities to the child.  That could certainly be the case.  It does make one wonder, though, and if Bristol Palin believes in the  so-called "family friendly" conservative values the Republican party claims to love, she likely would have gotten married before having a child.

Like I said, I don't know if Bristol Palin really is a slut.  I do think there are times when the proverbial "shoe fits", though.  When you have two kids by two different men and you've never been married, it's possible that you are guilty of "slutty" behavior.  Or maybe you're just very fertile.  Who knows?

The word "slut" has become more taboo lately, probably due to women who have taken a stand against so-called "slut shaming".  There was a time not long ago when it was okay for people to use certain words that are now considered politically incorrect.  Those who think of themselves as "evolved" like to take people to task for using language they deem offensive.  It probably makes them feel better to climb up on that moral high horse.

But here's the thing.  Sometimes language is inherently offensive.  While I think it's always best to consider peoples' feelings as much as possible, sometimes an offensive word is what gets the job done.  Sometimes wimpy, soft, overly considerate language fails at getting the point across.  

To those who took me to task for posting a meme that refers as Bristol Palin as a "slut", I say that I honestly don't care who she fucks or how often.  But I do think that if you're going to lecture people about their sexual habits and hold yourself up to be a role model, you need to be mindful of your own activities.  And if you're 25 years old, you should know how babies are made.  If you profess that it's wrong to have sex outside of marriage, then perhaps you should take steps to make sure that your own sexual habits don't become glaringly obvious when they don't match up to what you say publicly.  That way, fewer people will know or care about who you're screwing and you are much less likely to be called a slut by the tactless and unenlightened masses.  

Not that I think Bristol Palin cares what a nobody like me thinks of her, anyway; but for those who do, I think Bristol should focus on raising her kids and take a sabbatical from public life.  She wants to be a role model?  She can start by being one for her famewhoring mother who seems to lose IQ points with every moronic thing she says.  I doubt Sarah Palin is quick-minded enough to take a cue from her offspring, but one never knows...  

Facebook sure has become a great place for people to get on a soapbox.  Maybe it's not a bad thing that they do, since it gives me something to write about rather than watching sappy 7th Heaven reruns.  And I get the chance to be snarky, sarcastic, and condescending about public figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.