Thursday, December 31, 2015

Marie Osmond sure likes to brag...

Happy New Year's Eve, everybody.  2016 is just hours away.  This year flew by fast and, for the most part, it was a good year for me.

I don't know why, but yesterday I started watching Osmond videos on YouTube.  I saw a concert the whole family did in 2008 in Salt Lake City.  The Mormon Tabernacle Choir was there and they sang the beginning of "I'm a Little Bit Country", which was just as dreadful as you might imagine.  I had to get up and go to the bathroom.  While I was in there, an interview with Marie Osmond started playing.  She made sure to tell everyone multiple times that she'd been performing for five decades.  She talked about all of her many accomplishments, all the while cracking jokes.

I remember when Marie was the hottest ticket on TV.  She was fresh and pretty and lots of young men thought she was a hottie.  She's in her 50s now and a grandmother.  She looks great for her age especially after going through so many personal tragedies.  But she's also pretty full of herself, as are her brothers.


Marie wears a blonde wig.  

That being said, I like Marie better than most of the brothers.  She has a sharp sense of humor and comes off as plucky.  It couldn't have been easy, growing up the only girl in such a large family.

I'm sitting here right now watching a 1982 movie starring Marie playing her mother...  It's a bit sanitized, I think.


Marie does her mom.

I don't know that acting is Marie's strong suit.  But if someone had to play her mother, I suppose she was the best one for the job.  At least she doesn't sell phone calls, like her brother Merrill does.

We don't have any big plans for tonight.  I think we'll stay home and watch the fireworks.  It's going to be a crazy night, as long as there's no rain.  Germans love their New Year's festivities.  Last year, we had snow and it barely put a damper on the fireworks.

I don't really feel like doing anything today.  The weather is cold and nasty.







2 comments:

  1. I don't find Marie very likable. f i knew her personally, I might like her, though. I just don't find her funny.

    I've read about Merrill's phone calls for dollars, and I find the whole scheme pretty appalling.

    I like Donny, Jimmy, Jay, and Wayne OK.

    One thing that bugs me most about Donny and Marie is that they talk about how hard it was to grow up the way they did, and how they wouldn't choose to have it that way if it could be done over. That's all fine, because I'm sure their lives were entirely too difficult. What bugs me about it is that they treat the situation as though it's the fault of someone other than their parents. While I do get tired of people blaming their parents for everything that's wrong in their adult lives, I still think there's something wrong with this equation. If anyone is to blame for the Osmonds children being forced to work as adults when they were children, it would have to be their parents. Some of the Osmond offspring wish to place George and Olive on a pedestal, yet complain about the loss of their childhood. I don't think they can really have it both ways. it would be OK to say the parents had more children than they could afford and were in a tough situation, and found the best way out of a tight financial situation that they could. Bemoaning their loss of childhood while continuing to place their parents on pedestals isn't facing reality.

    Wayne [when he was a bit healthier] was the most honest. He didn't come right out and blame his parents for anything, but he told stories that allowed readers or listeners to make their own inferences while not making excuses for his parents.

    George and Olive were, in my opinion, human and were victims of a religion that encouraged people to have more children than they could support. Still, they don't deserve to be venerated. If many of the Osmonds feel that their youths were lost, George and Olive would bear responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I think most everyone in that family is both full of themselves and a bit delusional.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.