Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Good to know...

Here's yet another post about annoying comments from Facebook friends.  I should probably come up with a nickname for the person I'm about to write about, since I write about him fairly often.  He's one of the worst offenders when it comes to annoying comments on Facebook.  I think I'll call him Papa Smurf, since he seems to think he's everyone's daddy and feels free to take people to task for the things they put on their Facebook pages.

I seldom read The Onion, but I am subscribed to their Facebook page.  Every once in awhile, I see something amusing.  Sometimes I share it on Facebook.  Sometimes what I share turns out to be tasteless.  Still, it's my Facebook page, and I'm well into adulthood, so I should feel free to post what I want, right?

Well, more than once, Papa Smurf has taken it upon himself to chastise me over things I share.  Never mind that he could just scroll past or even hide the post.  Never mind that he could hit the unfriend button (and so could I).  No, he has to resort to shaming, which I think comes from Catholic guilt.  You see, Papa Smurf is a very devout Catholic and I have noticed that he's always posting about his mission trips and church shit.  I never comment on it.  In fact, I rarely comment on anything he posts. But he comments on my stuff and more often than not, his comments are disapproving.

It's not that I don't like Papa Smurf.  I initially "met" him through Epinions.  Years later, we met in person at an Epinions function.  We share a love of travel with our spouses.  I respect the love he has for his family.  I even have a modicum of respect for his Catholicism, even though I could never be a Catholic myself.  I just don't like it when he's overbearing and criticizes my sense of humor.

Anyway, this is the post in question.  It's clearly satire.  Maybe it's in poor taste, but I've been putting up with reading all the right wing bullshit about how there could be a silver lining to the Planned Parenthood shootings in Colorado.  At least The Onion's satire is obviously a joke.  The stuff I've been reading from the pro-life crowd is no joke.



Evangelist Josh Feuerstein endorses hunting down and killing doctors that provide abortions...  Incidentally, the idea to kill abortion providers is not new.  Wikipedia tells us that at least seven doctors have been murdered by anti-abortion zealots and many more have been injured or harassed for doing their jobs.

There are actually people out there who think Robert Lewis Dear is a hero for killing three people and injuring eleven others.  They think he's "saved lives"...  lives of fetuses that might have been aborted at the Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood facility, even though the vast majority of Planned Parenthood's activities have nothing to do with abortion and everything to do with preserving the health and well-being of the people served there.

Yes, it's true that people died and were injured at a Planned Parenthood clinic.  Maybe it's in poor taste for me to share an Onion satire post about such a tragedy.  I think it really just points out the sheer lunacy of what's been happening to a woman's right to choose whether or not she wants to be pregnant.  And, I'm sorry, but if you call yourself "pro-life", how can you justify murdering people at Planned Parenthood?

For those who are curious, this was Papa Smurf's comment...

Though this may be an ap-pealing sentiment to some, it remains much too close to the deaths of three people to get a chuckle out of me.

To which I responded, "Good to know."

I'm sorry if Papa Smurf thinks I'm tasteless, tacky, insensitive, rude, heartless... etc.  While The Onion's satirical piece may seem tone deaf, I actually think it hits the nail on the head about how sick, stupid, and senseless these acts of violence toward abortion providers really are.  Some people may have missed the memo, though.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.