Thursday, December 10, 2015

Back to the Future... making me feel ancient

Last night, I decided to watch Back to the Future.  Famously made in 1985, the Steven Spielberg flick made Michael J. Fox a bona-fide movie star.  I was 13 years old and I saw it in the movie theater with a lady who went to church with me.  She used to look after me during services.  Every summer, would take me out for a day.  Back then, it was a lot of fun.  Today, I wonder what made her decide to take me under her wing like that.  I wonder if she thought I was being neglected or something.

Anyway, in 1985, she took me to see Back to the Future.  I have never been one to go to the movies a lot.  I tend to prefer seeing them in my own home so I can get up and pee and not feeling I'm going to miss something.  But I do remember seeing the film and enjoying it immensely.  Thirty years later, it's still a very enjoyable movie and doesn't even seem that dated to me.  That's pretty crazy, since the premise of the film is that Marty McFly travels back to 1955, where he meets his parents and has to make them fall in love so he will exist.

I wasn't around in 1955, so I don't know if the film's depiction of what life was like back then is accurate.  I was around in 1985, though.  Seems like the time warp should be more obvious now that it's 2015.  I know we have technology now that we didn't have in the 1980s.  But when I watch Back to the Future, it seems like I should still be young.  The last thirty years have just flown by at warp speed.  Before I know it, I'll be an old geezer.

I hadn't planned to watch that movie last night.  I downloaded it on a whim in November, along with the two follow up movies that I didn't think were as good.  I may have to watch the one about what life is supposed to be like in 2015.  That may make me feel even more ancient.

This weekend, Bill and I are planning to go to Austria and Italy.  He has to work in Italy next week and I'm tagging along.  I had to take the dogs to the vet yesterday for shots.  Poor Zane got another rabies shot and has a nice, itchy swelling where it was administered.  He has a tendency to react to vaccines.  He had one in 2014 before we moved here, but for some reason, the vet gave him a one year shot (which I have read is identical to the three year shot).  I hated to give them more shots yesterday because there's always a risk that they'll have a reaction to them.

 I have to take Zane back tomorrow for an allergy shot.  Hopefully then, we'll be good to go for awhile.  The sun is out, so I think it's time to walk the dogs...  

2 comments:

  1. i hope poor Zane is OK. Have a great time on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's okay. Just has a big knot where he got his shot. Arran now has a tiny spot on his nose that lost some pigment. It's probably nothing serious, but I get really neurotic about my dogs.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.