Monday, November 9, 2015

The fade away...



This is a really funny song about "fading away"...

Have you ever been in a relationship with someone and it doesn't work out?  I mean, there's no chemistry and while you don't think the person is a shithead or anything, you just don't want to see them again?  But you don't want to be mean or hurt their feelings.  So instead of being straightforward and leveling with the other person, you "fade away"?

I've had friends do this to me and I have to admit that I've done it to others.  No need to be unpleasant, right?  I haven't had enough romantic relationships to have had this happen with a boyfriend.  It has happened with female friends, though.  

I think it has to do with our culture.  Americans are taught to be nice.  Not all Americans are nice, but many try to be.  We are taught not to hurt people's feelings.  So when a relationship isn't working, instead of admitting it and offering closure, we simply "fade away" out of the other person's life.  Suddenly, the person who was there going through the motions is gone.

I like Garfunkel and Oates' songs.  I think they're pretty clever.  This morning, I turned on their YouTube channel because I didn't want to listen to Arran licking himself.  The song "Fade Away" came on and I was reminded of this phenomenon, as well as others for which they've made up cute little songs.  


Yet another song about relationships...

"Happy Birthday to My Loose Acquaintance" is another funny song about today's relationships.  This one makes me laugh a lot because it's so very true.  Today, I have 493 Facebook friends, many of whom are people I don't actually know.  


"I Don't Know Who You Are"...

How embarrassing...  

Sorry... it's Monday, and I'm out of ideas.  Maybe I'll be back later.  That reminds me... maybe I need to watch episodes of 7th Heaven to remind myself about healthy relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.