Monday, November 16, 2015

It's all Obama's fault...

This morning, Bill and I are celebrating our thirteenth anniversary... in the wake of tragedy in Paris.  I notice on my newsfeed that France launched a massive airstrike on Paris.  The article that I linked adds:

The operation was carried out in coordination with U.S. forces, French officials said. The targets were identified based on previous reconnaissance missions conducted by France...

I take that to mean that the United States helped in this operation.

Of course, lots of people still want to blame Obama and claim he has "no balls".  These cries for war are the same ones I remember back on September 12, 2001.  I remember listening to the radio in Columbia, South Carolina and hearing people calling in, demanding that we attack the people responsible for visiting terrorism on U.S. soil.  It took about six weeks for George W. Bush to respond to those demands.  We've been fighting ever since and plenty of people were pissed at Bush for his decision to declare war.

Personally, I don't think diplomacy is going to work in dealing with ISIS.  I don't think they are the type of people who will listen to reason.  They need to be destroyed.  But, I also know that destroying them will mean more innocent people will die.  More families will be destroyed as members of the military are deployed to war zones.  More people will end up badly injured or go crazy from PTSD.  More children will be orphaned.  More money will be spent on bloodshed.  I don't know that war will make our world safer, but we can't go on doing nothing.

I would not want to be a world leader for anything.  It's a thankless job and the people who do it cannot win because their decisions will never please everyone.  And honestly, as much as I don't understand Islam and don't agree with what I do know about it, I feel sad for the very many innocent Muslims who have nothing to do with ISIS, yet are going to be blamed for what ISIS does.

My former shrink posted this quote on his Facebook page.  It comes from an article in the Huffington Post.  

"The cab ride I just had home was the saddest 25 minutes I’ve experienced from another human being. This Muslim cab driver said I was his 1st customer the past 2 hours tonight because of the Attacks in Paris. People have been scared because of NYC being on high alert. For 25 minutes, I had to tell this stranger, this human being like you & I, that he was not a part of what was happening and how sorry I was people were looking at him with fear or anger.

He cried the whole way to my apartment and it made me cry too. He kept saying, “Allah, my God does not believe in this! People think I’m a part of this and I’m not. Nobody wants to drive with me because they feel unsafe. I can’t even do my job."

It was one of the most heartbreaking moments I’ve ever experienced in my whole life. He was such a sweet guy, around my age. He couldn’t have been older than 25."


Having been to the Middle East and met some of the people from there, I have some empathy for their situation.  But many Americans do not have empathy and don't care.  Just this morning, one of my uncles sent me a racist rant.  He's been doing that for years.  I give him a pass for it because he's elderly and his thinking will not change.  This morning's email was about halal certification and how, if we buy products that are halal, we are "subsidizing Islam."  My uncle and other relatives think that Islam is a religion of hatred.  He forgets that Christians have also engaged in murderous acts.  

At the same time, I can understand why so many westerners feel the way they do.  I'd like to see Muslims as fellow human beings with wants and needs like I have.  But, at the same time, I can't ignore what's been happening in the Middle East.  

I don't think it's as simple as blaming world leaders for ISIS, though.  God help us all.  


2 comments:

  1. I'm so sad for that poor cab driver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. For those who aren't radical, this kind of shit is the most painful.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.