Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Hand wringing, teeth gnashing, moaning and groaning...

Thirty years ago, I could have never conceived that I'd live in a reality that includes keeping up with so many people by way of computer.  For most of my life, I only dealt with people face to face.  Imagine it.  For a very long time, I had no concept of memes.  Very few people could get up on a soapbox and successfully engage in mass shaming and preaching.  Those were the heady days before social media.

Now, of course, any schmuck with a keyboard can opine publicly.  Every time there's a tragedy or crime of some kind, you'll see these folks line up with their memes, their preachy "open letters" (which I too am occasionally guilty of writing), and most of all, their shaming of other people.  I'm not sure why people feel the need to do this as much as they do.  I have to say, I'm getting kind of sick of it.  And I write this not really wanting to shame anyone, but just to make a statement...

Take, for instance, the recent attacks on Paris by ISIS.  That was a horrible thing.  One could spend plenty of time simply expressing grief over the people who died in the attacks.  But no, many people aren't content to simply express sorrow and sadness over the senseless waste of human life.  Instead, we have to post memes that explain how it's all America's fault.  Then they post this shit on Facebook.

I have to wonder why people do this.  Why do we feel the need to bring up past atrocities and link them to current ones?  Isn't it bad enough that people got killed in Paris and Mali and elsewhere?  Why do we have to bring more shame and misery into those events?

The average American had nothing to do with the invasion of Iraq or Afghanistan.  No one alive today had anything to do with the fact that slavery was once legal in America.  Most people don't have the power to influence what world leaders do and no one on Earth can change the past.  I don't think it's a bad thing to remember history and even discuss how certain events can be linked.  I just don't get why we have to bring guilt and shame into it, especially on social media.

Seems to me that times are difficult enough without a bunch of blaming, shaming, and guilt mongering.  I know I feel pretty helpless when I read a sad story about people being killed.  But I have many friends who want to add to that by mixing the sadness for the current event with shame over past events.  The misery compounds and there's much hand wringing, teeth gnashing, moaning, and groaning.

Then you get people who want to argue about stuff.  Like, for instance, the other day when Bill responded to a bleeding heart post he read.  He added comments about his own personal experiences, particularly with being at the Pentagon on 9/11 and with having spent 30 years in the armed forces.  Sadly, he was taken on by a guy who seemed hell bent on showing everyone how big his dick is.  He just couldn't leave it alone and even accused Bill of being a "fear monger".  No, Bill isn't a fear monger or a hate monger or a war monger.  He simply reports what he knows.  But some people aren't content with that and want to engage in shaming, arguing, and personal attacks.

Shoot, all I want to do is have a good time.  I can get guilt and shame from family members.  Don't need it from people on Facebook, especially when it surrounds stuff that had nothing to do with me.  Anyway, as of tomorrow, the "holidays" have officially begun.  And that, in and of itself, can be a special kind of hand wringing, teeth gnashing event.

An example...




3 comments:

  1. I don't get the idea of any politicizing whatsoever on social media. Does anyone honestly believe that he or she will even slightly change anyone's political stance with a Facebook post? if so, the person who believes such or the people who believe it are incredibly naive in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Sometimes the discussions are interesting and educational. I think a lot of the behavior I describe in this post comes from people who feel better about themselves when they "educate" the masses. I will admit, sometimes they do teach me something new. It's just that if you're going to do that kind of stuff, you ought to do it with a modicum of respect. But then, I am especially sensitive toward condescending people.

      I try to keep my soapbox posts to this blog. Facebook is for fun.

      Delete
    2. I agree. Blogs are pulpits for whatever we'd care to preach, but the more interactive forums are probably best reserved for fun.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.