Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Back to a simpler time...

I don't really want to write about terrorism today.  I want to curl up in a cocoon and remember a time when things were so much simpler.  Of course, the reality was that they weren't really simpler.  I was just a lot younger and knew less.  I didn't pay attention to the economy or threats to national security or finances.

I think that's why I love to watch shitty movies from the 70s and 80s.  They remind me of a time when I was less worldly and had simpler tastes.  There are some films that I loved as a kid that I find unwatchable now.  On the other hand, there are some movies from back in the day that I will never get tired of watching.  One movie that immediately comes to mind is Revenge of the Nerds.  Even thirty years on, it makes me laugh... especially the belching contest.


Ugh... 

I was lucky enough to grow up in a time when John Hughes films were all the rage.  They were funny and poignant and I still love them.  They make me forget about ISIS, horrifying ex wives with personality disorders, diseases, financial problems, etc.  The weather today is kind of shitty, so I may have to watch some old movies.  I've been on a Tom Hanks kick lately.  I just ordered four of his 80s era films.

Bill and I had a very nice anniversary yesterday, by the way.  I posted about the super weird restaurant we visited on my travel blog.  We also took a new photo, which turned out really nice.  Something about Bill makes me light up and I smile pretty.  I can't smile in a selfie, though.  It looks really forced and fake.  Probably because I'm too busy thinking about terrorism.

In all seriousness, we live in interesting times.  George Carlin predicted it back in 1999 or so...  ISIS and related groups are making it so...


Seriously...  listen to this.  He knew this shit was coming and he was right.


Anyway, if something else crosses my mind, I'll write again.  For now, I think it's time for grilled cheese.  That's something else I find comforting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.